Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Hoeppner passes away (long, rambling personal stories)

I saw on ESPN ticker that Hoeppner passed away and saw it mentioned again in the off-season College Football thread.

Thought I would share my own personal memories of Hoeppner. Had originally posted to the off-season thread but it got pretty long (big surprise) and really gets in the way of the other discussion stuff there I think so I'll just post it in a new thread for those who are interested.

I made a similar post when Randy Walker passed away.

Man that's sad stuff. Those were two really great coaches (imo) out of Miami, Ohio who both passed away all too soon.

ESPN Classic is right now playing IU's big upset win over Iowa after which Hoeppner gets somewhat emotional.

Perhaps they will also play Miami, Ohio's GMAC Bowl win over Louisville capping off an amazing 13-1 season led by Roethlesberger.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Hoeppner was a HUGE reason why Roethlesberger turned down other schools and came to Miami in the first place.

---------------------------

Pretty sad about Hoeppner.
I was decent acquaintences with him. An extremely classy guy (with the occasional blow-up in there) who always stopped to say hello to me and my wife (at the time) every time he would see us.

Seriously, I started to feel like we couldn't go to the Wal Mart in town without bumping into Hoeppner and stopping to chat for a couple minutes. This was when I was a part-time sideline announcer for Miami's radio network (but I mostly worked with the hockey and women's hoops teams).

but I knew Hoeppner well before that.
I shot the coach's film for Miami (Ohio) when I was a student in the early 90's.
Randy Walker (the recently deceased Northwestern Coach) was the head coach and Hoeppner was a defensive coach and later the defensive coordinator.

Hoeppner was the guy who hired me and who oversaw our 3 person video department.
I thought it was great. They were paying me to travel with the team on the road-trips which usually included a couple games to big stadiums like Michigan or LSU.

Two Hoeppner blow-up stories which I'm laughing a bit about now as I think of the sad passing of a man I knew and respected:

1. My Dad and he got paired at some match-play golf tournament at the Country Club in Oxford, Ohio (a pretty 'meh' 9-hole course).
Not sure if it was a 'handicap' tournament or not but my Dad was doing really well and was about to beat Hoeppner (big upset) and advance to the next round.
Somewhere around the 16th or 17th hole my Dad knocks down some chip from 50 feet or something. Shortly after Hoeppner misses a 6-foot put and throws a big tantrum about it that scares my Dad half out of his mind.
Keep in mind, my Dad golfs a lot so he's dealt with plenty of players throwing their clubs, etc. But Hoeppner's was borrowed more from his 'football-practice attitude' playbook and for my Dad to have taken notice of it I'm guessing it must have really been bad.

My Dad was laughing really hard when he was telling the story when he got home...and I'm sure he will tell the story again the next time we talk and we bring up Hoeppner's passing.

2. In 1991 we went 3-8 or something I believe. We go all the way up to Central Michigan and lose 49-7 in an afternoon game. I'm on the 2nd team bus with mostly reserve players and only a couple coaches.
about 3 or 4 hours in after one of the movies on the bus VCR wraps up one of the players who was from Michigan asks another Michigan native if we should have passed such-and-such in that order.
The other guy says, "We shouldn't be anywhere near those towns."
We had been going the wrong way for about 3 hours. I think we had been driving east and a little bit north instead of going straight south or something ridiculous.

Hoeppner is our coach representative on that bus as I think almost all the other coaches rode the first bus.

He is about ready to kill this bus-driver and his face is all red with rage but he's trying to contain himself.

He also needs this guy to get us back home and now it's looking like we just turned a 7 or 8-hour ride into a 13-hour one.

So he buys the guy a big thermos of coffee and they work out the directions to get back.
We left CMU at 5pm or so and by 2am the bus-driver is really struggling. Also has to keep pulling over to pee because of all the coffee he's drinking.

Hoeppner is really tired but he doesn't dare sleep because this driver keeps half-nodding off at the wheel.
So Hoeppner decides he needs to lean forward and be conversational and very friendly with the driver into the back of his ear to help keep him awake.
"So...you have a family? Where'd ya grow up?" stuff like that.

Kind of funny his efforts to be a nice guy to this driver so that he wouldn't drive off the road all the while clearly wanting to strangle him with his own bare hands.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Hoeppner passes away (long, rambling personal stories)

As a native Hoosier who was happy to see a coach like Hoeppner seeming to turn around a pretty abysmal football team, I was prety saddened, although sadly not surprised to hear it. When I heard that one of his assistants officially took over for him last week then I knew something was bad.

Seems like a really great guy from your stories and from all I've seen of him. He will be missed.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM

I have had season tickets to IU football for the past ten years, and you could see that Coach Hoeppner was turning around the program. He was the absolute perfect fit for Indiana football. I have never met someone with more enthusiasm.

Forget the football stuff, Terry Hoeppner was a great human being.

He will be missed.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM

BeatPurdue - My sentiments too.
I believe he stated that Indiana was one of the only schools he would even consider leaving Miami for because he's a native Hoosier and he looked at that as a dream-job.

I really doubt there was anyone in Oxford/Miami who had an unkind word to say about Hoeppner in all his time there. He was an extremely well-liked and considered a very classy guy well before he was the head coach and was only known in smaller circles in town.

When Randy Walker left for Northwestern the whole community was pulling for Hoeppner to be his replacement.

I think it was going to happen anyway, but Walker made it clear to Miami that if Hoeppner wasn't made head-coach there he was going to take him along to Northwestern.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM

He ran a fine offense.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:29 PM

Truly a shame. Seemed like an excellent person and coach. Ohio State and the rest of the Big Ten sends their regards.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM

That sucks. Condolences to his family and friends. It sounds like he was even a better man than he was a coach. He was doing an incredible job restoring pride back to our football program and he'll be missed.