Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Question on someone announcing \'allin\' out of turn

It's heads up on the river in an NL tournament. I've been betting on a draw (out of position) into a tight player trying to push them off their hand. On the river, I hit my straight and I'm considering how much to value bet when he announces out of turn "I'm allin". I have the nuts but before I can say "Call" someone at the table says "He's out of turn!"

What should happen here? Is his bet binding?

Otherwise, now I'm effectively screwed. If I check (hoping to check-raise) he's forced to check. If I bet, I'm effectively announcing I have the stone cold nuts to beat his all-in.

.Z
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Question on someone announcing \'allin\' out of turn

[ QUOTE ]
What should happen here?

[/ QUOTE ]
What should happen here is you tell the person at the table, "no, it's okay, I checked." You then wait for the other player to push his chips in. Then you call. KITN for the Table Captain.

You'll likely get different rulings every time on this one. There's no ruling where he's forced to check behind you, though. I'm not sure how it is for tournaments, but I know in our room with LHE (I know, totally different animal, but it's what I have), any action out of turn can be made binding if action doesn't change. So if he acts out of turn and you check, he can be held to his action. But who knows what would really get ruled if people started kicking up a fuss.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 PM

pfapfap is correct about the different rulings, unfortunately. In this situation, heads-up, he should be bound to his verbal declaration every time.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 PM

Damn, i should have called the TD over. I figured at that time if I called him over and ask if it was binding, this also reveals the strength of my hand.

I ended up pushing my remaining chips in and he insta-folded. :/

Good to know for next time.

tx,
.Z
Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM

If this tourney played by TDA rules, the all-in is binding if you just check. If they don't play bey TDA rules, it depends on the room.