Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Cheating FTW in Scramble tourneys, but I didn\'t know about it

One more reason to have everyone sign scorecards.

This is off-topic...but

I coordinate one tournanment a year at our small (under 150 members) 9 hole course. I always make sure people sign their scorecard.

There is only one thing worse than a cheater, and that is someone who won't confront one, and then yacks about it later. Man-up or STFU.

I know I am ranting about this, but I have a reason. A few years ago a guy was complaing that a friend of mine (Bill) cut a stroke on a hole. I just overheard the coversation in the clubhouse, but I knew my friend would never cheat, and would be crushed if anyone thought he did. He is the type of guy that if he was 40 yards in the woods and his ball rolled 2 inches in his set-up, he'd come out and tell everyone and take the penalty stroke.

Anyway, I talked to Bill about an hour later and said Fred is telling people you got a 6 on hole 8 but took a 5. My buddy look puzled for a awhile and said OMG...I forgot I chipped out..I did have a 6. He was devasted. he wanted to withdraw and I said no way, this is just a fun tourney, I'm changing it to a 6 and Fred will be coming to see you.

Anyway, I went over to Fred at the clubhouse and asked him if he challenged Bill when he said he had a 6 on hole 8. He said he didn't say anything. I said , all you had to do was say , "I think you had a 6 there, Bill, you may want to recount," and then it would have been sorted out.

Anyway, I told Fred I would DQ both of them unless he aplogized to Bill for not manning-up and yacking about it after he signed his card.

Anyway, he talked to Bill and things worked out. Fred is actaully a pretty good guy now. I think he really didn't realize the "integrity" implications.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 AM

This is a good story.

It illustrates the point that every player in a tournament has a responsibility to 'protect the field.'

Problem is in scrambles everyone in each group is on the same team.

Though I have done it myself when I was younger, I hate cheating.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:48 AM

Rule 1-3 Agreement to waive the rules
Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any rule or to waive any penalty incurred.

Penalty for breach of rule 1-3
MATCH PLAY- Disqualification of both sides
STROKE PLAY- Disqualification of competitors concerned

I'm pretty sure this is important and it shows up in the rule book right after definition of the game and exerting influence on the ball.

When I work with the local high school golf team we talk about 1-3 right away. Ignoring a rule is DQ land
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Oh yeah I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it belongs in this thread and was such a huge WTF I'll post it again.

A couple of years ago we were making our semi-annual trip up north to play 36 holes. 24 guys, two teams of twelve. The format is explained in this post (it's a long post but look for "format" a little ways down).

Anyway, in the afternoon four man scramble vs. matches, one team skipped a par-3, allegedly annoyed by the group in front of them (not part of our group). The group behind them with whom they were competing couldn't help but notice this.

Yet when we were all done a few hours later, they didn't say anything about skipping a hole and turned in a card in which they gave themselves a birdie (this was about a 220 yard par-3 and was definitely one of the hardest holes on the course - not a sure birdie by any means). It was a "2" written in big old two rows high black Sharpie. No mistaking what the number was intended to be.

The competing group came up to me (I was "captain" of the event that time) seething, saying the other team skipped a hole. They parred that hole so we were giving the other group a win with their birdie. The "cheaters" fessed up and said they forgot and meant to go back and play it later. Like how in the hell do four guys totally forget skipping a hole? And the smoking gun is one of them carding a birdie, that's really blatant cheating. They never fessed up about who kept the card.

We had their team as one point winners at the time. By turning their hole won into a hole loss by way of DQ, our team won by a point, so that was pretty sweet.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother owns a well off property management firm and he sponsors some golf tourneys as well as gets invitations to other company golf tourneys from painters, realtors, etc.... We play decent, both 13 handicaps, but as the last tourney we played, he kept the score while I rode with the other random dude they paired us up with. As a 4 some we shot -8, but when they annouce the winners, suddenly we win by 2 strokes with 16 under!! I'd feel like a total jackass standing up in front of 200+ big shots saying the stats are fudged....so I just sat there and high fived my brother and acted like a winner. we did get some good prizes, free 4 some to private country club, trophy for lowest net, etc... but it just doesn't feel right..... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You played it fine, but your brother sounds like a POS.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 PM

You said you guys shot -8, and won for low NET at -16. Net is after your handis have been applied. I don't know if the handicaps were applied properly, but your bro didn't just shave 8 shots. -8 was your GROSS score, not NET.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said you guys shot -8, and won for low NET at -16. Net is after your handis have been applied. I don't know if the handicaps were applied properly, but your bro didn't just shave 8 shots. -8 was your GROSS score, not NET.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mystery solved!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:15 PM

Haha, if the guy didn't actually cheat and OP didn't understand the format that would be pretty LOL.