Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 AM

Default guy keeps opening his mouth during hands

so im playing some 1-2 tonight and a guy at my table keeps opening his mouth every hand hes involved in while its more then heads up and not even his action. for instance a limped pot flop comes 8 6 5 rainbow and he calls a 15$ bet from the BB. 1 more caller and a guy in LP makes it 60 total. it was a family pot pf and once this raise happens with 4 people to still act he starts saying damn limped pot the guy has 47 flopped a straight outloud. he keeps carrying on and probably says that the other guy flopped a straight about 4 times while action is still taking place.

he does this a few other hands hes involved in as well. me not being involved in these hands didnt say a word. but when the time came that i would be involved if he opened his mouth id be pissed. do you say something to him the first time around or let it slide and wait till he does it again to bring up the fact that he cant talk about the hand unless its heads up? or do we just wait till were actually involved in a hand to say anything (which at that point its too late if he opens his mouth again)
Old 09-03-2007, 06:56 AM

Default where is the dealer? asleep?

First kick in the nuts goes to the dealer who should instantly stop this bullpucky.

Second kick in the nuts goes to this jerk who can't keep his big mouth shut. Steel-toes for this one.

If he did this during a hand I was in and the dealer did nothing, I'd stop the hand and insist on getting a floor right there, before the hand continued.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: guy keeps opening his mouth during hands

STFU + GTFO or KITN

really thats bad form from the guy.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM

Inform the dealer that this isn't to be tolerated.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Where I play in Florida, talking about the hand while it's still in play seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Even dealers do it! I've asked dealers to ask the players not to talk about the hand while it's still in play but the typical response is to look at me like I have two heads. I've even asked the supervisors and their typical attitude is "it's just a friendly game." Bull hockey!

What's the usual chain of penalties for someone who does this?

I would suggest something like: 1) warning, 2) player's hand is declared dead, 3) 2 or 3 escalating time penalties, 4) 1-day ban, 5) 1-week ban, 6) perma-ban. Of course this would not apply to Florida which seems to be in another universe when it comes to poker rules.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 AM

My standard reaction when somebody says something thats way past whats acceptable (whether I'm in the hand or not) is to catch the dealers eye and sort of frown and nod towards the talker. I'd say about 90% of dealers get the message and say something.

I like this sort of approach because it keeps the game fairly friendly and if you're in the hand doesn't reveal information about your cards.

As far as penalties, I'd say after a couple of warnings its time for the player to leave. Of course its pretty rare (at least in AC) to have somebody continuously ignoring the Dealer.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where I play in Florida, talking about the hand while it's still in play seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Of course this would not apply to Florida which seems to be in another universe when it comes to poker rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you playing in Florida? Were you playing before July 1st when the limits were lower? The Poker Rooms can now have $100 buy-in NL tables. I noticed a lot of talking about hands when the pots were capped at $10, but haven't noticed it the past few months playing at the NL tables.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you playing in Florida?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this at just about every poker room on the Gulf coast from Ft. Myers to Tampa.

[ QUOTE ]
Were you playing before July 1st when the limits were lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played in Florida rooms since they had $10 limits on the pot size.

Bad habits that should have been nipped in the bud were not, and now that Florida has something closer to serious poker, those bad habits are deeply rooted and will be very hard to eliminate.

I was saying years ago that one day we'll have real poker and should be conditioning the players to play by real poker rules. But, nobody wanted to listen to me because it was just a $10 pot or, later, a $2 bet. So, now we have NL games where people are showing their hands to their neighbors who are still in the pot; players and dealers discussing the board while there's still action pending; players splashing the pot and throwing showdown hands into the board cards or other players hands. I see these things almost every time I play and rarely will a dealer say anything.

What can you do when you have a dealer constantly talk about the hand in play, and the supervisors refuse to do anything. I was playing Saturday -- a dealer who can barely get out 10 hands of limit poker in her 30-minute down, dealt out a flop and turn of A-K-10-J. Her happy comment: "Who hab da quee?" [sic]
Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Unless the guy was accurately describing my own hand and I was not benefitting from it, I would just use this as extra information in making my decisions. I'm pretty sure I could make this situation +EV for me.

In a tourney, however, I would not permit it at all and would start with the dealer and call the TD if necessary.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM

1.)STFU
2.)KITN
3.)GTFU