Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Harrah\'s N.O. - Another Premature E-Muck-Ulation

I was playing in Harrahs New Orleans last night (Saturday) and they had a controversy in the big NL game (I think it was 10/25) in a pretty big pot. I got the story from one of the dealers and here is his version of what happened:

Like I say, I think the game is 10/25 NLHE, and Player A goes all in on the turn and gets called by Player B, who has him covered. In cash games, Harrahs' doesn't make you turn your cards face up in this situation, so the cards are still face down in front of the players when the river is dealt.

Anyway, the river comes, and Player B says "You got it, I missed my flush draw" and turns something like the 7d 5d face up on the table. Player A tosses his cards face down in the middle of the table toward the dealer, expecting the dealer to push the pot to him. Instead, the dealer scoops his hand into the muck and started shoving a pot with about $5,000 in it to Player B.

Player A starts screaming, claiming he had a full house, the floor comes over, hears everybody's story, and awards the pot to Player B. Player A is claiming he had a full house (one version I heard was that they were able to definitely determine which cards were his, pulled them out of the muck and he did have a FH but I'm not really certain about this. I understand this is a pretty big detail to be unclear about so if anyone was there and can clarify , please do).

Anyway, I know we get threads on here about about this stuff happening all the time in LL, but you would think someone playing 10/25 NL would know better.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s N.O. Premature e-muck-ulation

Isn't it standard to win any pot on showdown that you MUST show both hole cards? I have yet to play somewhere where that wasn't the rule.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Yeah, me too, Iggy - on re-reading my post, it is a little unclear, sorry - Player B did turn over both hole cards, the 7d AND the 5d and Player A turned over neither after Player B made his concession speech...
Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 AM

This story doesn't surprise me at all...the people in that poker room are not the brightest...and they all have this obsession with not showing the hole cards. I don't know what the difficulty is with just turning your cards over, letting the dealer ship the pot to the winner, and getting on with the game. If the people in that poker room weren't giving their money away at such a prodigious rate, I'd be on life tilt constantly there.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the people in that poker room weren't giving their money away at such a prodigious rate, I'd be on life tilt constantly there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The permanent contradiction of all things NO. It sucks so bad you couldn't put up with it if it weren't so great!