Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Two AA hands - ULTRA-deep 1/2 and 3/6

I started the session by depositing e500 and was spinning up. I have no roll - I just deposit, win loads, then lose it. These hands are three times larger than any I'd previously won on this network - my most regular game is 0.25/0.50 and occasionally 0.50/1, but the games looked good higher.

One hand I played really well; the other I played terribly. The first was at 3am when I'd been playing very solidly for about two hours on a juicy table, not making any moves and waiting for big hands to get my money in. The other was much, much later - 10am - when I was exhausted and playing like [censored]. I really should have gone to bed, not got involved, and been happy to bank the win.

Which hand did I play well, and which one did I win? What should I have put my opponents on, on either hand, and should I have played them differently?

Fwiw, first player is a gambler; second player just lost a buy-in to quads.

Game # 503177896 - Omaha High Pot Limit EUR 1,00/2,00 - Table "Philadelphia"

Players:
catchdriv (EUR 407,00 in seat 1)
IAmABot (EUR 641,00 in seat 3)
luckyjim (EUR 921,50 in seat 4)
@TheMoose@ (EUR 950,05 in seat 5)
pieman (EUR 999,85 in seat 6)
Dealer: luckyjim
Small Blind: @TheMoose@ (1,00)
Big Blind: pieman (2,00)
luckyjim was dealt: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
catchdriv Call (2,00)
IAmABot Fold
luckyjim Call (2,00)
@TheMoose@ Fold
pieman Raise (7,00)
catchdriv Call (7,00)
luckyjim Call (7,00)
Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
pieman Bet (28,00)
catchdriv Fold
luckyjim Raise (112,00)
pieman Call (84,00)
Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
pieman Check
luckyjim Bet (252,00)
pieman All-In (878,85)
luckyjim All-In (548,50)
pieman Payback (78,35)
River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Final pot EUR 1 851,00

Game # 503239830 - Omaha High Pot Limit EUR 3,00/6,00 - Table "Husavik"

Players:
FromAbove (EUR 3 839,89 in seat 1)
Apophis (EUR 1 170,00 in seat 2)
Xoxol73 (EUR 591,00 in seat 3)
luckyjim (EUR 906,50 in seat 5)
torsten36 (EUR 291,00 in seat 6)

Dealer: Xoxol73
Small Blind: luckyjim (3,00)
Big Blind: torsten36 (6,00)

luckyjim was dealt: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

FromAbove Fold
Apophis Raise (21,00)
Xoxol73 Call (21,00)
luckyjim Call (18,00)
torsten36 Fold

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

luckyjim Bet (69,00)
Apophis Call (69,00)
Xoxol73 Fold

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

luckyjim Bet (207,00)
Apophis Call (207,00)

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

luckyjim All-In (609,50)
Apophis Call (609,50)

Final pot EUR 1 840,00
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Two AA hands - ULTRA-deep 1/2 and 3/6

I like how you played both. The third barrel is ballsy.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Yeah, both look good to me. I'm gonna speculate that you won the second one posted, lost the first. River hit too many hands in first, though he could just have been dumb with a set of jacks.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 PM

First hand's pretty standard, your post suggests you lost, so I'll guess JJT9 made the straight.

In the second hand, the flop and turn are OK, but I don't like the river. If you're against a flush, villian's already committed to the hand and isn't folding the blank river. If you're against a set, you're ahead, no need to bluff. I'll guess that villian made a hero call with KKK though.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 PM

I think the first hand is standard. Second hand I think you should give up on the river a bit more than half the time against an average opponent. After calling the turn he will call the river a lot, however you need to fire the third barrel sometimes so that a small flush can't profitably call the turn against your range.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Oh and if you hadn't posted the hands I would expect you won the first and lost the second.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played both. The third barrel is suicidal .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, both look good to me. I'm gonna speculate that you won the second one posted, lost the first. River hit too many hands in first, though he could just have been dumb with a set of jacks .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Yes, I won the first and lost the second. My opponent in the first - who's actually a dealer at my poker club - had a dry set of jacks and only one out. Since I didn't re-raise preflop he didn't put me on aces.

Here's how I should have played the second hand: pot the flop. Check fold the turn. Save monies for another day! When he calls there, I know he isn't folding - either he has a flush he's calling me down with, or a set he's getting committed to. He just lost e1200 the previous hand and pulled up, so (unlike me) he is clearly rolled for the game, and perhaps tilting or ready to take a chance and make a marginal call. He actually had a jack high flush; it took him a while to call river but he did. Bye-bye monies!

It seems to me the chief characteristic of good higher stakes players is they make these marginal calls. My game had gone by this point - I would never have made such a stupid bluff earlier in the night when I was on the 1/2 table. It isn't being tricky - it's being reckless, risking all your chips for no reason.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:50 AM

Hand 2 is fine. Don't be results oriented.

Unless you had some really good read there's no way you can know he's calling you down after just the flop bet.

Hand 1 is so boring I don't know why you posted it.