Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Surprise River Raise

40-80 at Bay 101. I'm running very good and have a very strong table image tight but watch out if I'm mixing it up. Fellow on the Button open raises. This is a very tight player who plays OK but I think he's actually too tight. However, he is sophisticated enough to open raise with a variety of hands on the button particularly with my big blind knowing I'm fairly tight. SB folds, I'm in BB and have 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I like calling here getting 3 1/2 to one on my bet. The flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet out, button calls. Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I now have a flush draw and a gut shot straight to go with my two pair. I bet again. Button calls. River is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so I have fives full of sixes. I bet and the button now raises.

Where am I at and do I re-raise. (I'm assuming nobody is going to advocate folding here).
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Surprise River Raise

It's a lot closer to a fold than a threebet. That said, I call and expect to see a six.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
40-80 at Bay 101. I'm running very good and have a very strong table image tight but watch out if I'm mixing it up. Fellow on the Button open raises. This is a very tight player who plays OK but I think he's actually too tight. However, he is sophisticated enough to open raise with a variety of hands on the button particularly with my big blind knowing I'm fairly tight. SB folds, I'm in BB and have 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I like calling here getting 3 1/2 to one on my bet. The flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet out, button calls. Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I now have a flush draw and a gut shot straight to go with my two pair. I bet again. Button calls. River is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so I have fives full of sixes. I bet and the button now raises.

Where am I at and do I re-raise. (I'm assuming nobody is going to advocate folding here).

[/ QUOTE ]

What a weird hand. Seems like a PP or a 6 would have found a raise somewhere, especially with the second heart coming on the turn. His range is likely polarized to a monster (66) or air, so I would just call.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

It's much closer to a fold than a 3bet.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's much closer to a fold than a 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I think given the action so far and the nature of the button vs. blind aspect, it's closer to a call than both. I call.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Easy call. 3 betting is crazy, b/c you can't get called by a worse hand by a reasonable opponent and the way the hand was played you will see a 6 a significant amount or maybe a bluff the other percentage of the time..
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

I have a hard time not 3-betting immediately - but then WTF could he have here anyway?

Just call.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 AM

I c/r this flop.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Results and Thoughts

Thsnks to all for the food for thought via your responses.

I just called not sure what to expect. Strangely, (at least to me), my opponent held pocket aces.

Let's look at the play here.

First, I don't see how I could fold the river here - if nothing else I'd be wondering the rest of the night what the heck he had. I also don't see how I could raise - just too great a chance I walked into a badly slow-played 6 or a well-played 66.

As for my bet on the flop, I still like this play. But, I tend to bet out on the flop much more than most players. I bet when I'm in the lead, I bet draws, and I'll bet overcards either representing a hand or hoping to slow an opponent down. Earlier in the evening I was on the button with 3 limpers so I called with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The flop came T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB bet out and everyone folded to me and I raised and we went four bets. River was an A, checked to me, I bet and was check-raised, (now pretty sure I'm against AT), so I 3-bet. BB called and when a blank hit the river bet out again and I raised. He did show AT and commented, "I didn't think you were that strong becuase you bet so aggressively on the flop". Surprisingly, when you just bet your hand many don't believe you.

Now, what about my opponent's play? I think he played this terribly. I assume he thought that I was representing something hoping I'd get him to lay down big cards and that I thought we'd both missed the flop. Nonetheless, I see too many players get cute like this trying to "maximize" their win with hands like AA. I would have raised the flop and then seen what happened. If I did just call the flop I certainly am going to raise the turn (as someone else pointed out there are now many draws that I have to make pay). As it turns out there's no way he could have gotten me off the hand given my turned draws - that's not the point, he still played it badly.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Results and Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
that's not the point, he still played it badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and this is why we make money. So for god's sake don't tell him he played badly!