Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: NBA Finals

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If LeBron loses in the Finals this year, I'll say this - it'll be the last one he'll lose for a long, long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd gladly put money on this. I love LBJ but he probably won't be the best player in the league next year either, thinking he is going to just start snagging title after title is a little perplexing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As will I. The Cavs could make the finals the next 6 years simply because the East is garbage, but they won't win one until they get MUCH better or the spurs/suns/mavs get much worse.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 AM

kidcolin, "The hot thing about the Cavs making the finals is it makes Cleveland a super hot destination for free agents."

cavs have no money for big free agent signings for hte next 2 yrs. they also dont have any talent to trade and no expiring contracts. gilbert (owner) would have to really overspend or ferry would have to pull off a huge ripoff to improve this team in the next 2 yrs.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 AM

Vic,

Good point, but it's still a big plus. I'm not just talking about a big money FA ala Rahard Lewis. Lebron doesn't need huge stars around him, he just needs a step up from the current cast of 'tards. Plus, if LBJ gets to the Finals again with the Cavs, do you think he'll ditch town when his contract is up? I know his quest for global iconism, but to set his own legacy in a town like Cleveland would be HUGE in terms of legacy. I think waiting two years for some really hot players to play alongside of would be worth it.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Irritating series - I want the Spurs to win becuase I really don't like 1-man teams, but the Spurs shouldn't win because they didn't beat PHX fair and square. Yuck.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 AM

I think Spurs in 5, but then again I thought Pistons in 5 over the Cavs. I just hope its a good series.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 AM

"Plus, if LBJ gets to the Finals again with the Cavs, do you think he'll ditch town when his contract is up? "

cleveland fans hope not and i think its a legit hope.

heres a cool site with team salaries: http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm as you can see, in 09/10 many contracts expire and lbj will have one season left plus a player option. it would be surprising to me if ferry/gilbert make some big upgrades and lbj just bounces.

is it possible that it was very shrewd of the management to structure those contracts to expire 1 yr before lbjs? now if they sign some talent lbj is practically obligated to stay to see if it works out.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the cavs have a 37% chance of winning this series. but the other 63% of the time the spurs win in six, TD mvp.

[/ QUOTE ]
there is a zero perecent chance of the spurs winning in any other amount of games?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hot thing about the Cavs making the finals is it makes Cleveland a super hot destination for free agents. I mean really, his team is [censored]. I don't want to hear crap about an underrated supporting cast. Z is an above average center nearing his last leg, and yet, the style of play that best suits him (slow pace, half court sets) is the opposite of what Lebron should be doing (open court play). Boobie is a good bench player, good shooter, Bron seems to like him, but he's no big deal. Hughes is an overpaid piece of crap. Gooden would be OK if he played within himself, but he's always out to prove he's superman and does retarded crap. Sasha's got a future, though he still makes bonehead mistakes and is a major defensive liability. Varejao does what he does well. Damon, Donyell = crap.

The Cavs should only get better, while the Heat and Pistons look to worsen. The east should be wide open for them, but they need upgrades at most positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

in theory you're right

in reality: they have gibson on a 2nd round rookie deal, which means he's dirt cheap then is unrestricted FA next year. who knows if his playoff success is for real or not.
they lose Varejo and Pavlovic this year. Yes, seriously, unrestricted - thank the GM for that.
They have a horrible draft pick.
They have no cap room, because they have a ton of guys locked up. (LBJ, big Z rightfully, Hughes, Gooden, Snow, Marshall, Damon Jones not as deservedly) Even though the east is weak next year, I'd be really shocked if the Cavs make it here next year. They're in for a DOWNSWING!

also, look at their playoff series..
4-0 vs a slamdunk wizards team that had to play 8th/9th/etc. men as starters.
4-2 vs a nets team. i would elaborate, but... VC had chances, both teams looked anemic and horrible, and the cavs didnt exactly make a statement.
4-2 vs pistons, this impressed me. pistons did look pretty mediocre throughout, but after games 1 and 2, lebron was on another plane.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:32 AM

BobboFitos,

Actually, Varejao and Pavlovic are both restricted FA and it is rumored that Gilbert has given his blessing to go into the luxury tax to keep them both as long as they don't get crazy amounts offered to them.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 AM

av and sasha are restricted. also, sasha has a qualifying offer for 2.8m next year. cavs have a ton of cap space in 09/10 so they can backload salaries for gibson, av and sasha and only supercede the cap by avs salary next year and 5-8m in 08/09.