Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Default A terrible experience at local cardroom

I like playing the multi-table tournaments $45buyin with about 200 people at the palm beach kennel club in FL. I'M ALWAYS EXTREMELY NICE AT THE TABLES. The blind structure is OK unyil the later stages when they go up fast leaving the average stack with about 4-5 BB. Top 15 pay and I get to the final 10 and everyone at the final table is nervous and wants to move up except for me who has a little above average stack and the HUGE stack. I know that I am the best player at the table but unsure of my edge with the blinds being big. Two shorties get knocked outand there's 8 people left. 2 players have 1BB left and there is the HUGE stack, everyone else is around average.

PAYOUT STRUCTURE
1st-~1500
2nd~1000
3rd~800
4th~675
5th~550
6th~425
7th~300
8th~215

The chipleader wants 1000 and said he would let everyone else at the table chop the rest for about 600 each. Instantly the shorties who are bad yell we agree and I say NO. OK let me say this, I'm 5'6" 120lbs and 18 yearsold (look younger). The shorties look at me at me like thiey want to kill me and some of them are drunk. The players, dealers and floor manager are harassing me to take this chop and I hopelessly try to tell them that my equity in the prize pool is more than $600. This makes everyone even more angry. One of the drunk shortstack got in my face and demanded that I say yes. I couldn't do it. I tell them whether It works out or not I made the right decision. So eventually we continued and I pushed with 99. Instantly the entire table (except for the big stack who was a nice guy) stood up and together yelled call him knock him out, the whole time during this they were harassing me. A crowd had formed around the table and the players told everyone why to hate me. I guy in MP called with AK another guy with AJ. I had them covered and the Big stack reluctantly folded. hands were flipped and everyone was going INSANE rooting for an ace. Ace on the flop and no help and the table goes nuts. I thought I was out so I go to each player and give them a fist to fist and the drunk guy pushes me. He then threatens to beat the [censored] out of me. The floor and dealers who were right there say nothing and DO nothing. I am ready to leave but I find out I have 2BBs left. I was honestly scared of getting jumped, robbed/ whatever. Next hand bad player in LP limps with 44, SB/BigSTACK completes i check BB with K9 flop 965r chck, allin, call, fold. turn 7 river 4 and once again they go nuts. Once again I tell them that I made the right decision. None of those idiots in the room hace a clue about equity or ICM. I get my 215 tip 15 and get harassed on my walk out. Should have expected this? I will never go back and would never give them my business for the floors handling of the situation. I was in shock and really just wanted to go home. These guys are animals. Sorry for the [censored] writing and typing.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: A terrible experience at local cardroom

I've seen floor people threaten instant disqualification to people who did to someone one-tenth what was done to you. "The players, dealers and floor manager are harassing me" is absolutely inexcusible. The dealers shoulda been telling the players to cool it and the floor shoulda been zooming in to back it up with real threats to stop. The dealers and floor in particular have NO business whatsoever putting their noses in, and should in fact have been pulling the dogs off.

You were seriously mistreated.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't want to sound whiny or like I am exaggerating this. I doubt I will be playing live for a long time if I had known the results of my decision(not moneywise) I would have taken my money and gone home. At the HardRock I saw an older black guy check/call the river HU with quad aces because it is "bad etiquette" to bet. Some people don't know how to act. I will learn a lot from this though.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM

Did you suggest a deal with you getting a higher amount? I frequently do that just so the deal is fair to me too.

The behavior there was inexcusable. I don't think I would go back either. It's really unfortunate the floor people didn't do their jobs properly. No one should ever feel unsafe in a poker tournament.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 AM

First off, yes, this is unacceptable. Nobody should have to put up with that.

Now that we have that out of the way....

[ QUOTE ]
I hopelessly try to tell them that my equity in the prize pool is more than $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you explaining this? Just say "no thanks" and leave it at that.

[ QUOTE ]
Once again I tell them that I made the right decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, WTF are you thinking here?

[ QUOTE ]
None of those idiots in the room hace a clue about equity or ICM.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you want to keep it that way, don't you?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 AM

I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet:

[ QUOTE ]
I am ready to leave but I find out I have 2BBs left, so I say to the table, "OK, let's chop it!".

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2007, 04:08 AM

no way the people were that immature..
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no way the people were that immature..

[/ QUOTE ]
I trust him. He would know. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

OP, I hope this doesn't turn you off to B&M. The players might complain about you refusing a chop but most floormen are professional enough to respect your right to refuse a chop and would certainly put a stop to threats. A whole table rooting for you to be knocked out is also ususual. I've read several stories about people refusing chops here and I've never heard of that. Also, everyone screaming to knock you out on the 9-9 hand constitutes collusion.

All, what should have been the penalty for the guy shoving the OP? For anything else?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get my 215 tip 15 and get harassed on my walk out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't actually tip the guys that weren't doing anything to prevent you from being harassed did you?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get my 215 tip 15 and get harassed on my walk out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't actually tip the guys that weren't doing anything to prevent you from being harassed did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: I'm a dealer at a B&M and this is absolutely unbelievable if it is true. No dealer should allow this at all at their table (and usually an above average dealer is dealing the final table) and the floor should have kicked out any of the patrons that were getting physical with you. That is completely unacceptable and would never fly in my room.