Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: tptk facing river shove against eboliva

[ QUOTE ]
eh villan ended up having 22. this isn't a results oriented thread through. i thought this was really close at the time. his line just doesn't make much sense for anything i beat, except for maybe QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

u think a hand like 44/55 checks behind as it has showdown value? I mean it might do but sometimes they will bluff with it. Even value betting looking like a bluff from a hand like KJ etc.

The better the guy is the more I like a fold, but a lot of bad / weak / mediocre players will shove here because they think that you aren't calling anything.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eh villan ended up having 22. this isn't a results oriented thread through. i thought this was really close at the time. his line just doesn't make much sense for anything i beat, except for maybe QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

TK, QK also. Lots of gutshot/over combos that this villain will peel with on flop.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:49 AM

CALL
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 AM

I dunno who eboliva is, but callllllllll
Old 02-14-2007, 05:54 AM

oh yea WTF bet river for value
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u think a hand like 44/55 checks behind as it has showdown value? I mean it might do but sometimes they will bluff with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think he calls the flop with a small/medium pp because of the other player left to act. of course if he did get to the river with it, he might push. but this doesnt seem like the spot to do it. ya know, it would make more sense if you replaced the J on the board with a K and the river was like a Queen or Jack. basically because there isn't much of a chance of me stumbling into a pair that beats him.

i guess i could see KJ shoving for value, hoping for a heroic call from like TT or JT.

At the time, I was really worried i was beat and was trying to keep the pot small and get to a showdown. I wonder if it would have been better to bet the river (like 2/3 pot), not only for value, but as a way to safely fold to a push. but stack sizes are kinda nasty for this.

any suggestions on a better river line?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM

fold. he's a maniac but not like this. if he just shoved the flop, it's an instacall. but once he takes this weird tricky line you know he's getting fruity with a monster.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM

If this is ebolivia from Partypoker 5/10NL fame then I'd call or fold depending on how he was playing. He was one weird player.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold. he's a maniac but not like this. if he just shoved the flop, it's an instacall. but once he takes this weird tricky line you know he's getting fruity with a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, edward does weird crap a lot from my exp. with him. however this doesnt make me any less inclined to call given the texture of this hand.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM

I would fold here.

For one, because your not very invested in the hand. Your getting almost 1.7-1 on your money on a river call. 2-1 or more and I call, less than 2-1, I fold here. He definitely played this hand very wacky.

my first instinct when you described the play was that he was on some kind of a weird 9, i.e. A9 or J9 with the boat on the turn. His check then at least made a little sense as he was trying to represent weakness and trap you. You didn't initially fall for it though, with the check on the river. I think he got desperate and was trying to represent a busted draw i.e. QT, and hence the push. It looked weird to you, as it was, and it enticed the call from you.

In the future, my only suggestion would be as the other posters said, don't slow play your hand, AJ isn't that great, you need to define your hand and find out where you're at. Bet the flop, turn and river for value, and if you are raised, let it go.

On a side note, there's no reason to put him on a busted draw here. Anyone with half a brain is going to realize that the 5 didn't complete any draws. An all in play looks incredibly "rook" here. Unless you know he is a complete donk, I think you have to fold here.