Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Is your vagina a graveyard for animals?

Case, it's not about either, it's just about our personal preferences, trying to talk other people into accepting our ideas as objective truth is doomed to failure.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone jumping on for me for responding,

I wrote a paragraph as opposed to the lengthy diatribe I thought about posting. It was a pretty worthless post without getting into a lot of facts. Obviously you guys don't care about that type of stuff.

Also, it's not about fiscal resources. It's about saving valuable land to be used for other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

"saving valuable land to be used for other things" presupposes that you and the vegans know of a better, nobler purpose for that land and those resources than "murdering" animals. moral superiority once again.

people like eating steak and that's why "valuable land" is used for raising cattle. behold the market at work, etc.

your moral superiority is annoying, and there's no reason for it unless you feel that cows have "rights" or are otherwise have some equivalency to humans. i also find that ridiculous and worthy of mockery.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's about saving valuable land to be used for other things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like what? Soybeans so we can have more Tofu? No thanks. I'll take my grilled cow flesh, thank you very much.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 PM

JAK,

Ok I have been sucked into this thread and I will make a better response later on tonight. But I want to address this right now. The beef that people it does not graze in open fields. They are kept in factory farms and consume massive amounts of resources. Open field grazing is not commonly done, and if it is done you probably buy it from a small local place that specifically advertises that it does that.

amplify,
I am more an aspiring vegetarian. I don't want to change anyone in this thread. I just want the facts to be told. When people don't think beef farms are consuming valuable resources then I kinda want to tell them otherwise.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why does someone need a good reason to be a vegan? they only need a reason if they want to be evangelical about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't need a good reason to be a vegan, they need a good reason to be a vegan to avoid being mocked for being a vegan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you why it's a smart choice to avoid eating beef so that we can have more food for humans to eat or more water to drink. Just think about how much work goes into raising a single cow and how much resources go into that process as well. Now imagine all those resources and energy going into something that we won't just murder when it gets fat enough.

Would you mock someone who gave someone who was hungry their extra food they did not need? I don't understand the attitude of mocking people who's endgame is trying to help people.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's already enough food in the world to feed everyone. There are places where distribution breaks down and people go hungry, but it's not because the resources aren't there.

Water is a dicey proposition for more people, but I don't see why eating less meat would mean fewer water issues automatically. That would require a targeted effort to dig more wells in places that need them, developing desalinization plants, building water treatment plants, and so on.

I know raising meat takes plenty of water...but that water would be here. As far as I know all the meat I eat is from the US and Canada. That surplus water that would be produced from veganism could be shipped out to places that need it...but I think finding/creating native water sources would be a lot more helpful.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The beef that people it does not graze in open fields. They are kept in factory farms and consume massive amounts of resources. Open field grazing is not commonly done,

[/ QUOTE ]
This is complete bullsh*t. You ever been to Iowa? Texas? Colorado? Any major beef producing state? Have you ever seen a cattle ranch? I didn't think so.

Sure, they consume resources, so what? I'm paying for those consumed resources when I purchase my beef. I choose to pay, and do so willingly. You are making no sense whatsoever.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Of note: much beef grazes on very heavily subsidized federal lands. Then again, that's how many crops are grown, so it's not like there's a pork-barrell-free alternative. But either way, we're very far from a free market.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 PM

These arguments are merely rationalizations from people who prefer not to eat meat, just like the rationalizations from people who like guns. You don't have guns for safety, you just like guns (as I do). Same with meat, you don't abstain from it because of agricultural conditions, you just don't want to eat animals (I don't). So big deal.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The beef that people it does not graze in open fields. They are kept in factory farms and consume massive amounts of resources. Open field grazing is not commonly done,

[/ QUOTE ]
This is complete bullsh*t. You ever been to Iowa? Texas? Colorado? Any major beef producing state? Have you ever seen a cattle ranch? I didn't think so.

Sure, they consume resources, so what? I'm paying for those consumed resources when I purchase my beef. I choose to pay, and do so willingly. You are making no sense whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to those states. And those cattle do not represent the majority of beef that is consumed.

I am not trying to convert people in this thread. I am just trying to explain the position. I know you have the fiscal resources to purchase beef, because of the beef farms, they capable of doing it very cheaply and all that good stuff. Your ability to buy meat products has never been a part of the vegan/vegetarian argument. It's about looking into your own diet and deciding if that's right for you. I am trying to become a vegetarian because I know some things about the process of getting the cow from the farm to the plate at my house. That process and the results from that process do not sit well with me to say the least.

I just want to make sure that the arguments for being a vegetarian are fairly represented in this thread because somethings are being skewed.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These arguments are merely rationalizations from people who prefer not to eat meat, just like the rationalizations from people who like guns. You don't have guns for safety, you just like guns (as I do). Same with meat, you don't abstain from it because of agricultural conditions, you just don't want to eat animals (I don't). So big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all vegans talked this way, I wouldn't mock them. I only mock the morally superior, condescending attitude.