Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: The Mathematics of Poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, right now it looks like anything is likely to be faster than Amazon. They are still predicting a ship date of January 4 and that, btw, is NOT free shipping. While I probably won't get to read it until after the holidays, wife and mother that I am, I'm OK with it but if I were the publisher I'd have a problem with AMazon. The book was #733 on the Amazon list the week it came out. That's alot of sales to play games with IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I've never had a problem ordering from Amazon before, but this is pretty bad to not send out e-mails or try to clarify the situation on their website. A lag time of a month is way too long when other people are getting their grubby mitts on this long-awaited book.

FWIW, Amazon now has private sellers clucking the book albeit for a $10 higher price. I bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until a day or two ago my copy, pre-ordered on July 14th according to Amazon, was showing a 12/5 shipping date. They'd periodically emailed notifying me of an update that I'd have to approve as the date slid forward. I checked about an hour ago and saw that the date had changed to February although I hadn't seen an email. Five minutes to cancel Amazon and order from Conjelco. An email verifying the cancellation came almost immediately. Five minutes later I got a confirmation from Conjelco and finally the email from Amazon about the newest delay.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 PM

When I have pre-ordered from Amazon in the past, it was quicker to cancel my pre-order when the book came out and place a new order than it was to wait for them to fill my pre-order.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, right now it looks like anything is likely to be faster than Amazon. They are still predicting a ship date of January 4 and that, btw, is NOT free shipping. While I probably won't get to read it until after the holidays, wife and mother that I am, I'm OK with it but if I were the publisher I'd have a problem with AMazon. The book was #733 on the Amazon list the week it came out. That's alot of sales to play games with IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have it backwards.
How long was this delayed by the publisher? You don't think Amazon has a right to be upset at a 6 month delay?
Now Conjelco is telling us to talk to Amazon. Why doesn't he get on the line to Amazon himself? If Amazon is losing sales, isn't he?

So how did all the other sellers get their supply and not Amazon?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Hey, I can't find this book on the order form!

How do I order it from Conjelco?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 PM

It's on the order form (left column) but since it's not a 2+2 publication it's down in the "from other publishers" area.

Chuck
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM

Yes, it was delayed. I have talked to Amazon directly. They know that the book is out. This will be a self-resolving problem in that Amazon should have stock within the next 2-3 days.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 AM

wow, amazon just revised my Dec 7 - 9th delivery date to the following:

Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: February 15, 2007 - February 17, 2007 1 of: The Mathematics of Poker
Sold by: Amazon.com

Ouch. This was quickly followed by a cancellation and an order placed with Conjelco.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: The Mathematics of Poker/ Amazon

[ QUOTE ]
Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: December 14, 2006 - December 16, 2006

* 1 of: The Mathematics of Poker
Sold by: Amazon.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2006, 01:31 AM

Heh... read through that part twice, swear it wasn't there. Anyway, found it, ordered it. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 AM

You're doing okay! I just previewed my Amazon Delivery Estimate (I ordered it on Nov. 30th with 7 other poker books [2 Ray Zee, 2 Sklansky, 3 Malmuth, 1 Hilger and 1 Navarro]) and found out that the delivery estimate for the Chen book is between February 14th and February 16th while the dates for the other 7 are between December 8th and 12th. I'm so excited! Now I have plenty of time to take that advanced calc class before the book is delivered. And, as an added benefit, this whole silly poker craze will probably have wound down by then, or --if not-- the Taliban's law on money transfers will have kicked in. Thanks, Amazon.