Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Antigua Up Ante - 7 BILLION

I think that the manner of remedy is more important than the number. Even if the number granted is one-third of what Antiqua requests, how else can they get it except by breach of IP.
Once Antiqua can permit "pirated" software, music and movies, then how do they control the amount? If the WTO grants Antiqua the right to ignore US IP laws, I believe that US will back track on this whole mess. The music and movie industry give the Dems so much money that they will quickly pass exemption for online gambling from Wire Act etc. A Bush veto of that bill in that situation could lead to impeachment. It won't happen.
But I worry that the WTO will decide not to grant Antiqua the remedy of ignoring US IP laws.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the manner of remedy is more important than the number. Even if the number granted is one-third of what Antiqua requests, how else can they get it except by breach of IP.
Once Antiqua can permit "pirated" software, music and movies, then how do they control the amount? If the WTO grants Antiqua the right to ignore US IP laws, I believe that US will back track on this whole mess. The music and movie industry give the Dems so much money that they will quickly pass exemption for online gambling from Wire Act etc. A Bush veto of that bill in that situation could lead to impeachment. It won't happen.
But I worry that the WTO will decide not to grant Antiqua the remedy of ignoring US IP laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

One little remedy I like IF they are serious about making hurt to only get gaming would go like this. They also applied ot violate industry plans as well. Take one plan, schematic, drug formula, or just ONE DVD, CD etc. Then sell it for $1. Sell it to someone you know will abuse it to the extreme. Belarus, North Korea, China, Moldova. Somewhere of that ilk. Whatever they can get their hands on, barring say WMD recipes. Publish the list of what will be given away. Ipod or Iphone plans. Im sure China will buy any industrial plan they can get their hands on. Im sure the EU patent office has tons of cross-filed stuff from US patent seekers they could be "persuaded" to give up if they were on board.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM

As much as this debate is useful; the WTO isn't going to force any action or succeed in levying a massive punishment on the US in the name of Antigua. WTO is for mediating only; post disagreement to mediation and negotiation, the only real power that exists is economic sanctions and threat/real physical force. Since neither me nor my infinitely correct magic eight ball see effective sanctions or warfare against the US, I don't think anything will happen.

BTW, along the same line of reasoning I don't think any other countries really want to sour the US with crazy claims about protectionist laws, the US isn't the only country with dirt on its hands.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as this debate is useful; the WTO isn't going to force any action or succeed in levying a massive punishment on the US in the name of Antigua. WTO is for mediating only; post disagreement to mediation and negotiation, the only real power that exists is economic sanctions and threat/real physical force. Since neither me nor my infinitely correct magic eight ball see effective sanctions or warfare against the US, I don't think anything will happen.

BTW, along the same line of reasoning I don't think any other countries really want to sour the US with crazy claims about protectionist laws, the US isn't the only country with dirt on its hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, opinions are wonderful things, and we all have them, but when all else fails look at the data. The WTO has shown little to no squeemishness so far in dealing with the U.S. about this, so I personally see little reason for them to start now. It fully appears that Antigua will get something, as will the other nations. The U.S. is ALREADY negotiating with the E.U., so I don't understand how you can state that the WTO won't do anything as fact.

And, sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with, "I don't think any other countries really want to sour the US with crazy claims about protectionist laws". The EU and Japan will jump at the chance to show hypocrisy in the U.S. positions on trade. Again, the data here is ample.

I agree that the WTO cannot force the U.S. to accept Internet gaming, of course, but they certainly have the ability to enforce trade concessions. This is why we all need to do our part to tell Congress that we actually want Internet gaming.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Yes, the U.S. and Congress DO take the WTO seriously.

Example: Following a ruling by the WTO about import tax subsidies that went against the US comngress acted and complied.

More importantly, not only was the sector made more open, to 'herlp' American companies, 210 BILLION in tax cuts were passed.

From the Citizens For Tax Justice
http://www.ctj.org/pdf/corp1004.pdf

[ QUOTE ]
# In the has-to-do category is repeal of a foolish export tax subsidy that the World
Trade Organization has ruled to be in violation of U.S. trade agreements. “It seems odd
to call complying with the law of our land a $49 billion revenue offset,” said McIntyre.
Ending the illegal export tax subsidy will eliminate penalty duties on U.S. exports

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the Antigua claim in 3.4 billion plus the EU 15 billion + the Antigua add on of 3.7 Billion.

That alone is 22 billion.
Now, there ALSO has to be tax cuts for U S Companies to keep them competitive, that will require at the least and equal cut.

True cost will soar.

The previous WTO ruling, from what I gather was around 49 billion. Tax cuts of 210 Billion. Total cost = 259 billion.

So, this little 22 billion and growing claim COULD reach easily 100 BILLION after TOTAL cost is calculated.

This, we need to communicate, is NOT acceptable.

obg
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 AM

This article in USA Today on Aug. 31 should give us ammo in the Antigua / WTO fight.

It highlights the U. S. use of the WTO and shows WHY the U. S. SHOULD be honoring the decision and the hypocrisy of our governments stance and we SHOULD incorporate this into communications / letters in the future.

STORY: http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/...a_N.htm?csp=34

We need to get busy here in the comments section as well telling how the U. S. is selective in these areas.

MY COMMENT:

Absurd. Not the WTO case, but that OUR government has the gumption to even file a WTO case in light of the recent one we lost recently with tiny Antigua – Barbuda over playing Poker on the Internet.

OUR response to that, we will withdraw from THAT portion, sorry guys, we have no intention of honoring the ruling.

And we EXPECT the WTO and the rest of the world to take us serious and grant sanctions against others? WHY would other countries care, they can always do as we are, WITHDRAW from that section of the agreement.

obg
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Done.

There's also an article in today's Post on the NFL, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews . Seems like a good place to post a comment.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM

All done.

obg
Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Another good place to post:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/achen...n_america.html

Betting on america.....

obg