Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Default K,Qs hand

No reads ,

UTG raises you cold call from button with Ks,Qs and the blinds call.

Flop : 10s,2h,6s

UTG bets, You?????

Call or raise and why????
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: K,Qs hand

Preflop is a 3 bet. I NEVER NEVER coldcall with just 1 player in the pot.

Flop is a very easy call for me. A semibluff seldom works against 3 opponents. Since you prolly cant take the pot down at the flop, a call is better cuz you dont want to shut out the blinds. Equally important a call protects your implied odds.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:17 AM

I prefer calling too with 2 limpers behind me. Make it 1 limper and I'd raise for a free card and fold equity.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 AM

I raise. I think my overs + flushdrwa + backdoor straight + free card chances + cleaning up outs parlay + info make it well worthwhile. Give me A7s and calling looks more attractive.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 AM

Raise,
protect your hand, you have 9 outs to a fush with a very good kicker, 2 overcards and a backdoor straight....but you donīt have a made hand, so you should raise for value here.
If you miss the turn you have enough outs to go to the river, you can even try a freecard if the turn misses you.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:48 AM

You don't have any equity edge here so raising is not for value.

Basically if you raise here and go for a free turn card you pay 1sb less to get to the river.

Now if you call and let others in you have 1 or maybe two callers more, that makes up for that 1sb.

Another reason for calling is that they might pay you off again if you hit your hand. Which is not very likely when you take a free turn card and basically give away your hand's nature.

You don't have a made hand so I don't see what you protect here.

I'd 3 bet it preflop and lead the flop myself but as played I call the flop.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:08 AM

bump
Old 11-25-2006, 10:35 AM

Why not 3-bet it preflop?

Flop, the size of the pot is now 9SB when it gets to you. You have a strong draw... 9 outs to a flush, 1 out to BDSD, 3 outs to overs = 13 outs, meaning you win this ~48% of the time if I did my math right. If you raise, you put in 2SB to win 9SB = 22% of the pot. If you call, you're putting in 1SB/9SB = 11%. Obviously, you want as much money going into the pot as possible... soo you have to think about this. If you raise, you stand a very good chance of folding out the blinds and gaining 1SB from the pfr. If you call, you stand the chance of getting 1SB or 2SB from the blinds. I don't think you have to worry about many hands that contain a Q or a K, cause it's not likely on that board that you'll be reverse dominated... except for QT, KT from the blind players. The pfr you definitely need to worry about that.

It might be better, though, to thin the field and try to win this pot right now. Going for overcalls on this flop isn't all that great of an idea, since we stand to gain just as much from UTG calling a raise. We also gain some fold equity if we raise in this spot, which might help us on the turn if we do not improve. In addition, SB or BB could cold-call with their AT or whatever and we could gain more.

Summary: Rambling, but I raise.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 PM

So you basically suggest raising and betting the turn????

BTW you win this 48% on the river not the turn when you calculate equity you need to do it for the next card coming because you don't know how many bets are going to go in the pot on the turn. With 4 players in and a hand that wins 25% of the time on the turn you don't have an equity edge to raise this knowing that raising will get the blinds out probably ( at least one of them).
Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 PM

I know one thing: the more players that see the turn, the more bets you are going to pay, on average, to see the river.