Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM

Default 10s OOP late in MTT

i forgot to save HH but here is basically what happened

Blinds 200-400 on UB 10k about 80 left and top 40 pay...

Villian UTG +2- 4550
Hero SB- 8000 (10 10)

Villian opens for 1200...folds around to me with 10 10, I push all in...he thinks and calls with QQ...i lose a significant part of my stack

This type of thing has been happening to me lately...I think im making bad pushes with medium hands esp 88-JJ, AQ...Im reluctant to call out of the small blind here...for another 1000...do most people agree this is raise or fold? is calling an option...seems folding is tight but perhaps best, i just dont know
Old 10-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 10s OOP late in MTT

This is one of the cases(for me) where you can consider a Stop-n-Go approach. However, pushing is not terrible unless you have a read that the guy is a total rock.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Villain has 11xBB and raises to 3xBB from ealry position. I think this may be a fold.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Depends how out OOP you were. Were you in the blinds and it didn't cost much to call? I would called and paid close attention to post flop activity. Depending on flop, turn and river, you may have gotten all your money in the pot anyway. If the cards came out very high and he bets you can get away from the hand much easier without losing much of your stack.

If you read him to be loose aggressive throughout the tourney, push him all in is a good play as it may result in a fold.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends how out OOP you were. Were you in the blinds and it didn't cost much to call? I would called and paid close attention to post flop activity. Depending on flop, turn and river, you may have gotten all your money in the pot anyway. If the cards came out very high and he bets you can get away from the hand much easier without losing much of your stack.

If you read him to be loose aggressive throughout the tourney, push him all in is a good play as it may result in a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at villain's stack. He welcomes a push and is pushing any flop. You cant call for set value because of effective stacks and you cannot SNG because villain never folds.

Betgo (All),
Would you consider calling here if villain has ~20bb?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:17 AM

I am not saying push all in unless he had a good read on him. Late in a tourney you have to gamble to acquire chips if you want to win. I would have called the 1200 and not raised. He could have been making a play do to the fact the blinds were coming back around.

His M=9 so he is not in a pushing mode here, no reason to assume he will automatically push all in post flop. Your pocket Tens very well might be the best hand there.

More than likely this scenario would have turned out the same in the end, but I would have gambled with my TT
Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 AM

fold, call or all in... none of them are terrible, but all-in is the worst of the 3 given his obv commitment.