Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: 888.com/Pacific Poker has something up their sleeve

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am especially interested in this line:
In the near future, 888.com plans to launch new Money Play games that will be legal under the new legislation.

Wonder what they have up their sleeve???

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker has said something similar (new offerings coming for US players)

Is online backgammon for money illegal?

How about chess?

[/ QUOTE ]

My strong suspicion is it will be something like this:

SKILL-BASED POKER

[/ QUOTE ]

duplicate poker...the most ridiculous concept ive ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems kind of cool to me. It's like the 'beat sherlock holmes' feature on TTH, where you both get dealt the same 150 hands and your goal is to make more money playing the same cards. It's nothing like regular poker, but it could be fun to mess around with.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am especially interested in this line:
In the near future, 888.com plans to launch new Money Play games that will be legal under the new legislation.

Wonder what they have up their sleeve???

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker has said something similar (new offerings coming for US players)

Is online backgammon for money illegal?

How about chess?

[/ QUOTE ]

My strong suspicion is it will be something like this:

SKILL-BASED POKER

[/ QUOTE ]

duplicate poker...the most ridiculous concept ive ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems kind of cool to me. It's like the 'beat sherlock holmes' feature on TTH, where you both get dealt the same 150 hands and your goal is to make more money playing the same cards. It's nothing like regular poker, but it could be fun to mess around with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that the "skill based poker" spoke of above was no more skill based than what we play normally.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 PM

donger,

Actually from the link C_R gave, you are in a group of 4 tables in duplicate poker, which apparently seeks to use the fantasy sports exemption by basing payouts on statistical performance (beginning and ending chip counts) after the hand is over.

So you are in a limit game utg and you and your 3 same seat partners on the other tables get dealt 72o. Naturally you prudently fold as do 2 others. But the lag on the 4th table raises it and caps when reraised. The flop comes KT8r and he bets out and caps again. Same when a 2 comes on the turn, and again when a 2 comes on the river. So lag shows down his runner runner board set and beats AK, which means you and 2 other players dump to him. How fun can that be? Or even if you all held AA, just because someone else has players on his table more willing to lose more to an overpair, how is that skill and thus fun?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
US based members may keep their accounts open as we plan to launch new Money Play games in the near future that will be legal under the new legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are planning something here.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Games Not subject to chance....obviously

Same as Party
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 PM

If they truly are going to let you play with existing funds in your account post-signing, then the only thing that makes sense in their later statement about the future, is that agree with the legal interpretation of TruePoker CEO and others that online poker isn't illegal by virtue of a company not accepting a bet or wager or having a stake in an outcome, but are concerned that existing means of depositing might nonetheless be viewed as illegal, and thus will be offering new options for same. However logically if one takes the attitude that online poker still isn't illegal, then transactions relating to same can't be either.

If they just had some intention to offer some hoakey form of poker or gambling different than what they offer now, then they wouldn't let US players continue to use existing balances to play post-signing.

However, whatever they plan, might be planned by Party as well, which is why they said US players don't need to close their accounts.