Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 PM

Default 1st post here - did I play this wrong?

$12 180-man turbo SNG on Stars. Villian had jammed a few hands ago and shown down 8 high - was obviously eager to get his chips in the middle.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button (t3130)
SB (t2610)
Hero (t1470)
UTG (t2825)
UTG+1 (t1675)
MP1 (t905)
MP2 (t1545)
CO (t1130)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1470</font>, MP1 calls t605 (All-In).

Flop: (t2450) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2450) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2450) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2450

My Thoughts: Although generally I feel that min-raising EP is strength, I thought this guy was overly eager to get his chips in. I'm already the BB so it was about 600 more. At worst I'm 40/60 against Ax, possibly even money-ish against 22-55, but I have seen players make this kind of move in a low-limit tourney with Kx suited. I thought this was a profitable move, especially considering it is a turbo and there is a need to accumulate. Was I wrong?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: 1st post here - did I play this wrong?

I think it may help if you think of him as being all-in here first and then go from there -- you adjust his range due to the fact that he min-raised. Would you call a strong 6BB shove with KQo in the BB when losing gives you a crappy stack?

I would expect to be a bit behind his range here but given the extra money in the middle already relative to his stack, it could be worth it to shove here.

Maybe it's worth seeing a flop?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 PM

This is shove/fold imo. I don't like calling that much of my stack only to fold if I whiff the flop and face action.

I hate KQo in these situations. I'm normally dominated or behind in some other way (Ax, pocket pair etc). The min-raise, given your read, arouses suspicion. When these raises come from short stacks, they tend to be monster hands looking for action. I can lay it down. Though I don't fault anybody for shoving preflop.

Basically...

Folding &gt; Shoving &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Calling &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t; Min-reraising
Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM

If this wasn't a turbo I'd be more likely to pass, as it is its probably very close between shoving and fold. More of a read would help, but I'd probably just shove without one.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 AM

I think given read you have enough equity/odds to get it the $ in here. My prefered way of getting the chips in here is the stop and go. I call the raise &amp; shove any flop, because occasionally he folds hands like missed Ax. I'm going with your feel that his range is generally weakish here...the minraise could be a sign of a monster here..
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Not a fan of calling at all...seems like a leak to me. Given your reads of the player, shove/fold. I don't mind the shove here...
Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think given read you have enough equity/odds to get it the $ in here. My prefered way of getting the chips in here is the stop and go. I call the raise &amp; shove any flop, because occasionally he folds hands like missed Ax. I'm going with your feel that his range is generally weakish here...the minraise could be a sign of a monster here..

[/ QUOTE ]

I see these kind of raises frequently from stacks that should be moving in. I think there must be a lot of players who don't know they should be moving in, or think moving in is not "playing poker". It really puzzles me sometimes.

Stop and go sounds like an interesting alternative here. Are you betting every flop or are you checking and folding if an A flops?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop and go sounds like an interesting alternative here. Are you betting every flop or are you checking and folding if an A flops?

[/ QUOTE ]
The "proper" Stop and Go is shoving every flop - here shoving an Ace high flop has the point that he could fold lowish pocket pairs
Old 09-01-2007, 07:02 PM

If this isn't a turbo, I like mucking, although the loosey-goosey nature of the raiser makes it iffy.

In your situation, I like a stop and go- just because there's a REMOTE chance it may induce a fold on the flop.