Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

wtf, i don't wanna wait 2 months for my monies
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM

"I'd like to phone a friend"
"OK let's get Brian "The Icon" Micon on the phone with you.
"Hey Brian, a guy went all in and I have KJo. What do I do?"
"Insta-call"
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM

I like it. Two months is just enough time for each player to devise a way to cheat, thus putting them all on equal ground.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

There needs to be sponsor money added to the tournaments regardless of if the final table is broadcast live or not. This will never happen though, because the average player doesn't think about those sorts of things and just wants to play for the money. The average tournament pro just wants to be on tv. The average winning tournament pro just wants to play with the worst players so his edge is the highest. There is enough of a player base of players who just don't care/don't know enough to care/will play regardless because of the dead money in the tournament that there is no impetus for the people that run the tournaments to share any of their revenue with the players.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. Two months is just enough time for each player to devise a way to convince god to make them win, thus putting them all on equal ground.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp
Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM

What is really insanely stupid is ESPN waiting so long between the end of the tournament and when you finally see it. Add to that they wait until both the college and NFL season kicks in and when baseball heats up again to show the final table.
The event is played when there is nothing of importance in sports going on, never mind endless network reruns. Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The event is played when there is nothing of importance in sports going on, never mind endless network reruns. Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal idea is somewhat close to this.

During the WSOP I would do a 30-minute to 1 hour highlight show every single night, be it broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2 (more likely) or ESPNEWS, going over the previous day's events (who won bracelets/monied, interviews, quick highlight or two, throw in a fluff package) and go over quickly what's happened so far during the current day's events.

This would allow "average viewer" to keep up with the WSOP in real-time without really giving away too much of the action at the table (I'm thinking more highlight/fluff show obv, like the old MLB baseball weekly shows), saving the card playing drama to be shown during the regular broadcasts after everything is said and done.

The shows could be 30 minutes during the majority of the WSOP, and then they could up it to 1-hour nightly shows during the Main Event, especially on the later days. More fluff packages, more highlights, etc., leading up to the Final 9.

Then you have the day off. Have a 1-hour special on the day off highlighting the Final 9. And plug the hell out of the PPV.

Do the full PPV for the people that want to pay and see all the action from beginning to end. Will help get some buys if done right.

Then when the Final Table is over have ESPN highlight the damn thing on Sportscenter and make it big news, first segment highlights/review with Phil Gordon and Ali/interview with the champ and some other final tablists important. During this time-frame all they have is MLB and NFL training camp, so they have time to fill.

And then do the final review show the next night, showing highlights from the final table, more interviews/fluff, press, etc, and hammer home that you can see all the CRAZY~! EXCITING~! ACTION~! starting NEXT TUESDAY~! at 8pm ET.

(Actually by this time they should have about 2 weeks worth of "regular" shows aired already with early bracelet tournies)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the number of cameras ESPN has active on the final table is nineteen, each of which is recording for fourteen hours a day. That math doesn't include interview segments and floor coverage. This is me telling you they can not edit 266 hours of footage before extras in 24-48 hours.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

I think it's media puke! Here's a better idea for the fan demographic involved. Let's get the final table extremely drunk the night before and then bring them all back in at 8:30 a.m. for some military style workout before putting them on t.v. with no breakfast. am I going too far with this?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the number of cameras ESPN has active on the final table is nineteen, each of which is recording for fourteen hours a day. That math doesn't include interview segments and floor coverage. This is me telling you they can not edit 266 hours of footage before extras in 24-48 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

but they can somehow manage to show nfl games live?

the nuts is stupid anyways. no one needs to see e-dog shoot free throws while some walking penis with a moustache asks him pointless questions that he ignores.