Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 03:18 PM

Default [Pooh-Bah post] Offline study with Pokertracker.

I thought I'd share one of the notes I have on a player, that I developed offline using study of their play in PokerTracker. It took me around an hour and a half, observing probably 300 or so hands, interpreting different stats.

I do 2-3 of these per week, and I have become a better player for it.

-----------

VPIP: Broadway, PP, Axs, Ax, KQs-K6s, QTs-Q9s, JTs, suited conn.
PFR: AA-88, AKs-A9s, AKo-AT, KQs, KQo
Steal: 77-55, Ax, Kx, QJo-87o, QJs-76s

Playing style: slightly loose, aggressive pre-flop, moderately aggressive post flop.
This is a slightly loose, and sometimes tricky player. He likes to see flops, particularly from the small blind for one bet. He cold-calls frequently, usually with a suited hand, and isn't terribly position sensitive. He slowplays flopped two pair or better nearly every time, raising or check-raising on the turn. He will typically bet or raise top pair or better. He appears to be a fairly decent hand reader, picking good spots to get aggressive. He is very likely to bet or raise if he raised pre-flop, and when he doesn't, he's been showing down monsters. The only hand he appears to slowplay pre-flop is AA, which he will cold-call on the button. He will often defend his blinds with a check-raise on the flop. He also appears to be aware of pot odds.

How to beat:
He folds about 40% of the time on the flop, so even in a 2-bet pot I'm getting equity to bet him out of the pot if he checks to me heads-up. However, with made hands out of position I might want to slowplay the flop and lead out on the turn. I can be nearly certain that if he's betting the flop, he only has a pair, so I know where I stand most of the time. If he's made it to the river, he nearly always has some kind of hand. In short, I can pick up lots of small pots against this player, but if he plays back at me, I need to have a legit hand. When he check-raises on the turn, I should have a hand or draw that can beat at the minimum two pair.

--------------

This really doesn't work well unless you have a couple thousand hands from this player in your database.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: [Pooh-Bah post] Offline study with Pokertracker.

wow. awesome.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Location: 9 to 5ing it the hard way.. but I am out of the house and meeting people.

vnh sir.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 PM

I need to do this. Except that 99% of my database is now worthless as it was from Party Poker. :sigh:

Did anyone else immediately think old-style sports cards when they read this? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM

do you single table with these notes?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:55 PM

I think this gives solid insight on how to better interpret stats and remember certain players' actions in general. And cheer, even if multitabling, having detailed notes (that you compiled yourself) against a familiar player will prove helpful.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:29 PM

Nice post.

Thanks for sharing that here.

This is the kind of thing I would be into doing.

[ QUOTE ]
I have become a better player for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you found the benefits extend beyond simply owning each of these players every time you come up against them?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 PM

Great post. Thanks for sharing this. A couple of questions:

1) At what stakes did you start using this system? What stakes would you recommend someone start doing this? For ex, at 2/4 I don't have many people that I have thousands of hands on. Only the same 10-15 TAG's that I see everyday.

2) How you select which players to profile. I'm assuming there players you run into frequently. Do you tend to focus more on TAG's and LAG's? Better players or Weaker players?