Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: A question (mostly) for AC\'ers, about the rule of law.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer moral actions, and those are completely seperate from laws and states.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it morally right for humans to die of TB so someone can worship my dinner ????

Freedom of religion is fine and you can worship cows if that's your thing. But I feel morally inclided to destroy your sacred cow for the good of the world.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nielso: Yes, I know all that. I am not asking how you would prefer the law to be (or not be). I am wondering whether, given that the law and the state exist as they do, would you prefer that occasional exceptions are made in minor cases like the one in the OP.

MidGe: Read the topic again. It's a question about the rule of law, from a particular perspective. It's not about whether AC is stupid. If you want to talk about consistency, bureaucracy, and the rule of law from a different perspective, that's great. Just please don't turn this thread into a copy of half the other threads in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there a problem in the original setup in that you are asking about exceptions to a law in ACland, but in ACland there are no laws, there are only individual contracts and transactions. So, when the cow is discovered to be diseased, it is up to individuals to initiate whatever transaction they deem appropriate in light of the potential danger. There is no "enforcement" of anything, other than the ultimate judgement that arises from the transaction, which would be enforced under the terms of the DROs order.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't turn this into yet another thread debating AC. There are already tons of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! You know the title of your thread is "A question (mostly) for AC'ers..." right?

Strangely enough, this is the 2nd time this week I've seen someone calling out an AC hijack, when ACists were directly addressed in the OP. Stop asking us questions if you don't want our answers.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Copernicus:
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a problem in the original setup in that you are asking about exceptions to a law in ACland, but in ACland there are no laws. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that it was extremely obvious that the OP wasn't asking about exceptions to a law in AC land, but rather about exceptions to a law in the real world. Rereading now, it still seems extremely obvious to me, but given all of the confusion I must have written it poorly. I apologise.

Vagos:
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! You know the title of your thread is "A question (mostly) for AC'ers..." right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I'm sure you know that not every thread that's related to AC in some way should turn into the same exact discussion about that philosophy's general worth. Obvisouly there's going to be some overlap with that debate, but the first few responses to the thread had nothing at all to do with the question posed in the OP.

Just to clarify once more: I'm wondering if AC'ers would prefer to see a (purportedly) unjust, freedom-limiting law occasionally disregarded by its executors when they feel it's prudent to do so (thus immediately increasing the amount of freedom to be had), or whether they'd rather see the unjust law uniformily applied in cases like the one referenced in the OP.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Anyone else confused by wtf o.p. wants?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Am I being levelled, or should I quote the four instances in this thread in which I have very explicitly stated what I'm asking?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't turn this into yet another thread debating AC. There are already tons of those.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's going to be tough if MidGe's posting. If he can't make sarcastic comments about ACism he wouldn't know what to do.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify once more: I'm wondering if AC'ers would prefer to see a (purportedly) unjust, freedom-limiting law occasionally disregarded by its executors when they feel it's prudent to do so (thus immediately increasing the amount of freedom to be had), or whether they'd rather see the unjust law uniformily applied in cases like the one referenced in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're asking if ACists would rather see unjust laws ignored or applied? I don't see why anyone would want any law they thought was unjust applied, so I'm going with ignored.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I being levelled, or should I quote the four instances in this thread in which I have very explicitly stated what I'm asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, at risk of simplifying AC as presented on these boards at least, there are no uniform laws to be selectively enforced, so your scenario is a non sequitor in an AC context.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, it's largely the same as the toxic waste, air pollution, etc questions.

Statism- I love pouring toxic waste over my yard (don't ask how I got it, I did some things I'm not proud of). This obviously gets into the water table and fudges the water supply of my county (the stuff was really nasty). I'm taken to court for violating state/federal laws. End o' story

No State- I love pouring toxic waste over my yard (don't ask how I got it, I did some things I'm not proud of). This obviously gets into the water table and fudges the water supply of my immediate area. My neighbors complain about growing third arms, but since I've never entered into a contract with them, they have no recourse, unless of course they want to tell me what's right and wrong on my own property. More over, even if they think it's wrong, what DRO do we go to, mine, theirs, a 3rd option maybe? I'm not going of course, because I know most people won't understand my love of toxic waste dumping, but hey they'll probably get tired of complaining, and all they know is
"their teeth have never been whiter and their garden's spitting out 50 lb. tomatoes".

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question completely, but I think I understand what you're asking. For me personally, I'm all in favor of little exceptions like that (and I understand the nature of subjectives like "little" and the slippery slope).

Cody