Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Choose my religion

Let's say I've decided to become religious, but haven't decided on a religion. I'd like to pick the religion that is most likely to be true, or alternatively, that contains the most truthful content. Since 'religion' is a bit vague...I think I'll restrict myself to those systems of knowledge widely accepted to be religions.

What criteria do I use to determine which religion has the highest 'truth content'? All criteria must be phrased so as to be applicable across religions.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Choose my religion

Based on title: wiccan.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say I've decided to become religious, but haven't decided on a religion. I'd like to pick the religion that is most likely to be true, or alternatively, that contains the most truthful content. Since 'religion' is a bit vague...I think I'll restrict myself to those systems of knowledge widely accepted to be religions.

What criteria do I use to determine which religion has the highest 'truth content'? All criteria must be phrased so as to be applicable across religions.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you demand objective repeatable truth then you're going to need a very scientifically oriented religion or science itself.

if you're willing to sacrifice objective repeatability and allow subjective repeatability then you're going to want to investigate the various kinds of experiences that each offers to you - presumably to enhance the quality of your life.

if you want pure ideas only then i suggest beginning with jesus' two directives:

"love your god"
"love your others"

and begin writing a definition of god that maximizes your favor for that definition - i.e. take your own sprirituality into your own hands.

ray
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Which system of dogmatic nonsense contains the most truth?

Eurgh.

Go neopagan, it's the easiest and most fun.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 PM

jesus christ ray, give it a rest for two seconds.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Baha'i
Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Just to clarify...I'm looking for criteria that MIGHT imply greater credibility.

For example...one of our resident fundies has mentioned that the bible was written by lots of people, so it's more likely to be true than the quran. And the pali canon, presumably, more reliable still [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. So one criteria could be the number of contributors to the canon.

Other brainstorm ideas i can think of quickly: age of religion, consistency of doctrine over time, pacificsm, reliance on repeatable experience, even if subjective or drug-induced, average iq of followers vs. control group of non-followers...
Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Most religious truth is understood to be apprehended through these subjective experiences. Therefore I think the religions with the most reliable experiences and the most logical doctrine are probably your best bets.

I'd go with Buddhism or Taoism. Even religions like Shinto might not be out of the question. And something like a general shamanism might be ideal.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome thread!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the religions with the most reliable experiences and the most logical doctrine are probably your best bets.

[/ QUOTE ]