Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: gettin silly again

Last I will comment on this since we have reached an impasse. But do know that checking back KQ on a K53 board is not bad. If one continues to always fall back on default plans, one will always play hands in the same manner. Then ones defaults are what is going to cost him money.

Thinking outside the box and being unorthodox in spots like these will do wonders for your image and make you appear to be mixing up your play alot when really you are just capitalizing on a great situation. It will also give much more credibility to your c-bets when you have Q9s on a 853 board.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last I will comment on this since we have reached an impasse. But do know that checking back KQ on a K53 board is not bad. If one continues to always fall back on default plans, one will always play hands in the same manner. Then ones defaults are what is going to cost him money.

Thinking outside the box and being unorthodox in spots like these will do wonders for your image and make you appear to be mixing up your play alot when really you are just capitalizing on a great situation. It will also give much more credibility to your c-bets when you have Q9s on a 853 board.

[/ QUOTE ]

coach me?

villain thought it over for a few and folded btw
Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 AM

raise smaller
Old 11-24-2007, 02:53 AM

betting is usually better then checking. balancing is obv important (in some cases!), but betting should be the default play. We can agree on that, right? Because the next part is important. Checking only for the sake of mixing it up is bad, it's irrational play and should be avoided. There should be a reason to your unorthodox play. The dynamics of the game, your image and the specific tendencies could well make a check good in a particular spot, but blindly mashing buttons ("mixing it up") is bad. If you have a rational thought process to your game not only can you have a nice mixed strategy to throw off your opponents, but you will be doing it at the correct times.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 AM

Obviously you haven't read what I have said or atleast what is implied. He is mixing up his play to
a)make his c-bets less exploitable,
b)induce bets from hands that would normally check,
c)give off a unorthodox image of play which in turn makes it hard to get bluffed/thin valued,
d)have more control over the size of the pots you enter because your c-bet % will now decrease if you so choose,
e)allow for more aggression on later streets because of these smaller pots
f)enable you to utilize the donk if you so choose because of your now unorthodox image,
g)blah blah blah....

No one is jut 'mixing up their play' because a book says to do so. There are obvious reasons one would do so. The examples I gave are just a few in which it may be a good time for it. When the hand is in your favor is always best rather then trying to manufacture a play just for the sake of mixing it up.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:17 AM

you're missing what i'm saying actually. i know all the advantages to checking and completely understand why it is sometimes good. However, next time you decide to check top pair ask yourself "why is it better to check here then my last chance?" That's what I'm getting at. Most players don't, and because of this don't really know why they are doing what they are doing, in the sense that they have no rational thought process behind mixing it up, they just do it on a whim. Or in other words, they do it because of some random emotion. Any emotion at a poker table is bad. They know the advantages of mixing it up, but not why they are doing it at this specific time.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:20 AM

wow ssnl has gotten pretty mean/stupid lately...

cbet flop most of the time...

raise turn as played...

meh on the river raise, i don't understand this thread.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 AM

raising the turn is really bad
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ur post is confusing... are you saying you shouldnt be raising the river with Tx? cause I think thats what you're saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Unless there is leveling going on. Cause if you are both playing ABC, what worse hand is calling? What better hand is folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my jesus

[x] ignore

this post just blew my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice contribution. The high level of thought and logical explanations on this forum continue to impress me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to start a flame war with anyone, but I usually call people out when they make ridiculous statements. I don't think anyone in the universe folds any ten if you raise the river, and frequently say [censored] it and call with a pair.

Citing me out in terms of content in posts is pretty ridiculous as well, but I'll let all the rational people elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm just asking for some logic, not random "ZOMG!!1!!1!11!" posts. But since nobody bothered to actually read my posts apparently, I'll stop there.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raising the turn is really bad

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly raising what's often a bluff with equity against a call is really bad...