Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Thomas Jefferson on Religion and Legbreaking

[ QUOTE ]
The two comments mirror discussions we've had here. That without God, wherefrom comes morality?

[/ QUOTE ]

From common sense and common courtesy. It's when you add religion that things like suicide bombings, 9/11, and BluffThis refusing to press the red button that will kill 1 random person instead of killing 1,000 random people become morally defensible.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:07 AM

Glad to see that a number of people are starting to realize that morality is only possible in a atheistic framework.

There is nothing moral about quoting or following a really antiquated book, but there surely is, about reflecting upon the effects of one decisions and actions before making them.

I gladly note that some posters also seem to infer, as usual, that theists are, by definition, immoral, or at least cannot come to an understanding of morality, without parroting the dictum of a clearly obsolete book and would act unrestrainedly without it. Altough it is very clear to me that from an historical perspective there has never been a, so called divinely inspired book, that has prevented inhumanity to man, on the contrary, it has acted as justification for such abominable behavior.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:46 AM

I know, let's start a list!

1095-1281: Crusades

1492-1814: Spanish Inquisition

1939-1945: WW2 kills 60 million, but it's ok, because all the Germans knew that God was on their side. They were the chosen people.

1950-2002: John Jay Report finds over 10,000 plausible reports from 4,400 priests of sexual abuse in the United States Catholic Church - over 4% of the entire priesthood in the US. It has also been estimated that 80% of child sexual abuse cases in the church are never reported. You do the math.

1978-2005: Pope John Paul II discourages use of condoms in Africa because he does not believe they prevent aids. This was a major cause of the current aids epidemic in Africa.

1980-: Suicide bombings ensue in over 30 separate nations.

9/11/2001: Holy attack (Jihad) on the World Trade Center

This is just a quick list mostly made off the top of my head. Please add to it!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Sephus putting a lot of work into leveling this thread, bored?

[/ QUOTE ]
It took me a few posts to figure out what he was doing, but I eventualy caught up.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you don't believe in god, why not go on a killing spree? there's no reason not to that i can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously A+ trolling/leveling

I would expect nothing less.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Sephus
Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 AM

I have eliminated your social records and have you locked up in a room on my private ranch. No one is searching for you. On a whim, I've decided to shoot you in the head. You have one minute to give me a reason why I should not kill you. Go.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have eliminated your social records and have you locked up in a room on my private ranch. No one is searching for you. On a whim, I've decided to shoot you in the head. You have one minute to give me a reason why I should not kill you. Go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll suck your dick

No, but seriously. What arguements do you think muslims/jews were able to effectively use against the torturers/murderers in the spanish inquisition? Theism is hardly the go-to that you wish it was. I think your luck is about as good convincing an atheist murderer as a theist murderer. Actually, you might be a bit better off with the godless one, as he may be in need of a good BJ. The theist presumably won't be swayed by such earthly enticements.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...On a whim, I've decided to shoot you in the head...

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that is a very much an inclination of christians. The only thing that prevents them from doing that, is what they believe is the orders of their god about who to kill! They never need to think about it with their nesmorality (like Nescafe), I mean instant morality!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...On a whim, I've decided to shoot you in the head...

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that is a very much an inclination of christians. The only thing that prevents them from doing that, is what they believe is the orders of their god about who to kill! They never need to think about it with their nesmorality (like Nescafe), I mean instant morality!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your minute's up and you're dead, along with your ramblings.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll suck your dick

No, but seriously. What arguements do you think muslims/jews were able to effectively use against the torturers/murderers in the spanish inquisition? Theism is hardly the go-to that you wish it was. I think your luck is about as good convincing an atheist murderer as a theist murderer. Actually, you might be a bit better off with the godless one, as he may be in need of a good BJ. The theist presumably won't be swayed by such earthly enticements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck, but good try. As for heretics trying to stop proceedings against them during the Spanish Inquisition, it would have been incredibly easy. Recant the heresy, sign the documents and go free.