Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

I bought a mattress and frame for $20 from a yard sale next door. Then I bought a $150 memory foam pad from costco. I sleep like a baby.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Mrs DD and I first got married we bought a really nice "pillow top" fluffy mattress. Very comfortable... but within a couple of months, my back was killing me.

So we went to the Mattress Firm and I said I wanted the firmest mattress they had.

Took maybe one night to get used to, now I sleep better than I ever have, and no back pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really varies for people though. Stick me on a firm matress and I'm one hurtin' mofo the next morning...

- C -
Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Search on "mattress" from 6-12 months ago.

Also, check out this thread
mattress retailer gives info

Lots of good info if you dig around
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these and it is very well worth the investment. I got mine through connections at the Westin and was able to get a king set for me and one for my parents. My mother has had back problems for years and had not found a bed that she got decent rest on until we put this in their house.

The only bad thing I have found with the Heavenly Beds is that when I am staying at a hotel with lesser quality beds I have even more trouble sleeping than I did before I got this set.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sleepnumber beds for my wife and me. We had terrible nights sleeping with an old bed. I was starting to get terrible chest cramps with the way I was sleeping. I would wake up almost crying I was in so much pain.

We bought this bed and have had no issues since then. Terrific bed, and it's great cause they allow each person to make their side whatever they want.

Things you think would be problems but aren't:
1) Problems with the two halves being uneven. I have a much lower number than my wife, and while I notice a little difference in it, it's not uncomfortable at all if I'm rolling from one side to the other.
2) Doin' the nasty. No issues at all, don't even notice the difference in the sides. Even if your two numbers are that different, just set them to the same number before hand.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

psu-

Good info, thanks -- I hadn't considered a Sleep Number bed yet. Which model do you have? I'll do some research and will likely go to a Sleep Number store, but which model do you currently own? I'm considering the 3000 model, but am unsure whether it might be a [censored] 'entry level' bed. The next step up (4000) is so much more expensive though.

Also, I'm only 23, so no bed division with the Mrs. for me yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM

i just went through the whole 'buy a bed' thing;
I learnt that you:
a) want to go to the most expensive bed outfitter you can find with helpful staff; they will let you lie on their beads as long as you want, and tell you what surfaces they are made of etc.
b) then find a wholesaler online, phone them; you should be able to find a small company that sells the mattress surface under their own name under a warehouse somewhere.
c) ?? profit
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM

I got my bed from a local place here in Orange County:

custom comfort

The problem with national brands is that often their mattress quality is crap and way too expensive. Everything is marketed under 2352344 names so it's really difficult to find comprehensive reviews or compare mattresses well to boot.

I'm pretty sure the mattresses they make are truly superior quality to anything else that's way more expensive. Tbph, the mattress I selected was ~1k and I believe is the best mattress I've ever slept on. I thought that they day I bought it, and I still think that 1.5+ yrs later.

That being said, they didn't have many memory foam options, but personally, I find that stuff to be a novelty, it's cool to lie in but I get an awful nights sleep, lol.

Yugoslav
Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM

Temperpedic Bed and Pillows. I have never slept better and they work good for sexing.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

[/ QUOTE ]

see this thread on fatwallet discussing this bed and the current sale.

I went with the consensus and bought a Queen plush bed + separate featherbed for $750 delivered. I haven't received it yet, but I think this should be a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, I somehow missed this post the first time. What an amazing deal. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM

i think i sleep pretty well on anything. just bought a new mattress - it's a sealy plush pillow top. seems fine so far. look to pay in the ballpark of 50% of the list price at chains like sleepys.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a really good mattress for ~$500, or will I have to pay much more?

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be able to get a comfortable queen mattress for around this price.