Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Feels like a really good deal (OT)

I am coming back froma few weeks off, and my desktop set up makes playing poker feel like a chore. So I decided to upgrade my laptop. I was using an old 14 inch screen Dell, that was starting to feel pretty sluggish.

Showing an unusual amount of restraint, I didnt pull the trigger on a crazily tricked out alienware laptop with enough cpu power to run nasa.

I went with my old faithful method of laptop shopping. I checked the dell outlet every few hours, until something jumped out.

So, I dont know more than basic tech-speak, please let me know if you think this is good / bad / blah. I realize I cant 4-table without overlap, but I am hoping those days are behind me anyway. I would basically like to watch movies or tv while playing poker (with PT, PA HUD, MTH, and 2+ sites).

900$ with delivery and taxes.
Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Pro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard Disk Drive
120 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
Base
Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5600 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Network Interface Card
Intel Pro Wireless 3945
Bluetooth Wireless Card
NoteBook Screen
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Notebook Screen
Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Feels like a really good deal (OT)

Just wondering what kind of video card it has. Rest of it looks great, but if it has onboard video watching movies and stuff probably won't work too well.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:29 PM
 is offline

Depends how much value you want to squeeze out of this puppy, but you can almost always find 1GB of RAM for cheaper than Dell sells you for the upgrade. If it's customizeable, I'd say go with 1GB of RAM and buy more RAM elsewhere if (and when) you need it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM

I would never buy a laptop w/o 1600x1200+...not just because of overlap, but because high res is just so much nicer, especially for movies/games.

If budget is a problem, shave off 1 GB of RAM and buy it later. Oh yeah, and replace the drive with an 80 GB 7200 RPM one - if you need more space, buy an external drive later, but for the same price, you will notice the speed difference.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Nah, can't custimize. Outlet are 'as-is'. If I custimized the I would have went minimum on the RAM. I will check on the video card.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the advice on the resolution and hard drive. What about the processor? Is the older core duo's good enough, or is the core 2 duo a must?

money isn't too much of an issue. I just dont want to overpay for performance I wont need.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

its a good deal, from what ive read having a 4mb cache with the intel core2dou is nice but the 2mb should be fine.

adanthar, from what ive read i doubt he will notice a difference between a faster 80gb and a 120gb, maybe not though
Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM

2GB of RAM is pretty sweet.

Just check for a decent Video Card and you'll be in good shape.

My brother just bought one from Dell Refurbished about a month ago. Its awesome so far. The Inspiron is way better than the latitude, I also think the upgrade to XP Pro is worth it as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM

He will for PT and big spreadsheet type stuff. Big databases are a real pain in the ass as is, no need to make them load slower.

CPU doesn't matter much now, it's all about the video card for games etc.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM

This will be my 4th refurbed Dell, and I got one for my dad and brother as well. 4 laptops and a destop over 5 years or so, and no problems that I have noticed