Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM

Default BORGATA MAIN EVENT SATELLITE HAND

This is a hand i wasnt sure what the right move was....So 280 players start the $500 satellite last night 14 get seats in the main event and 15th gets 1k. We are down to 20 players with an average stack of 70k with blinds high at 4k-8k w a 1k ante. I have 60k and there are only 2 big stacks around 150k and all 18 left are pretty even between 50-80k. Heres the hand... IT gets folded to me in the cutoff w A9 and im not sure what to do here. Im thinking push or fold and i end up pushing thinking im only getting called by aa kk possibly ak with the stacks so close. Is this the proper play/thinking this late in a big satellite? I think it is close between folding and pushing but not sure if i did the right thing regardless of the results....thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: BORGATA MAIN EVENT SATELLITE HAND

easy push. you are picking up 20K or so, putting you at 80K and in much better shape.

They are going to fold 90% of the time, and even if called you are only a 2-1 or 3-1 dog unless against AA which is about .5% chance.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:41 PM

Sitting here, it's easy to see and say that this is an easy push; your logic is perfect.

I hope I remember this advise.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:49 PM

Easy push. These satellites tend to become so tight at this point it's ridiculous . . . it may be profitable to push ATC here (because they need an absolute monster to call, and when you win you pick up 1/3 of your stack). Certainly to push A9s
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Push.

Just hope you are lucky (actually not unlucky) not running into monsters from the blinds.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.....I ended up pushing and got called by AK which i also think is a close call because this gentleman had more to lose then he did gain ( he had 80k in chips) I really expected a fold from AK here just because who wants to gamble with AK in this spot when they really dont have to but i cannot fault a call either. I honestly dont know what i do in his spot but i tend to think im folding here. Anyway thanks for the replys....makes me feel a little better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Results and what do you think of a call in the big blind?

Lets put another twist on this guys and say your the gentleman in the bb. You get a raise from the cutoff for 60k total and look down at AK. Blinds 4k-8k 1k ante 22k in the pot 82k total and we have to call 52k more. We have 82k left total after we post our 8k blind. Call or can we ever fold this in this spot? I thought this was an interesting hand from both points of view....Here hes getting 8/5 odds on a premium hand and is calling a raise from the cutoff. Clearly getting the odds and probably having the best hand or at worst up against a pair assuming no aa kk. Is this an easy call? Is it worth risking the seat w ak here? I'd really like to see what thinking players have to say. It looks like a clear call but given the circumstances it makes for an interesting discussion...fishy
Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Results and what do you think of a call in the big blind?

Well, in any satellite situation, if you're playing a hand at all you typically would like to be the one pushing, not the one calling pushes. That being said, AK is a nice hand in that spot... the only problem is that it is, indeed, a satellite.

So, the question is not whether or not the hand is good enough to call, the question is whether or not you can fold this hand and still reliably get the seat. So, if you feel like you can just fold in, or that you can pick up enough blinds and antes on future raises to win the seat, then fold. If you feel like getting these chips is the only way you are going to be able to comfortably get the seat, then call. It sounds to me like there aren't any seriously short stacks out there. And the BB in this hand is really only about a rotation ahead of you.

All things considered, I think I would've called in his spot. He's still in it (albeit, barely) if he loses, and if he wins he'll be in much better shape to weather the storm and get the seat.

--TFGoose
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Results and what do you think of a call in the big blind?

Pretty much played itself, from both perspectives. From your side, you had big odds of taking down the pot uncontested. From his side, your push in late position doesn't say a lot about your hand, so you by no means have a monster, and he's likely even ahead. Gotta gamble in either spot, IMO.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 PM

The key is not so much your hand, as that it was folded to you in CO. I would definately be trying to steal here, but I would try to steal in even later position, even with any two.

The call with AK is probably technically bad. Villain doesn't need all the chips from a double up plus blinds and antes. AK is probably about 60% versus your range, so the call is close.