Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Rock Band

This game is AWESOME!

I rocked out til about 1am last night with 3 local friends. We cruised through a couple of the cities.

If you live in an apartment, this game is not for you. We tried it at my friends apartment originally, then moved to my house after a while, because it gets pretty loud.

Guitar: I hate the solo buttons. My fingers may be too big for them. I may be using it wrong, but I don't think so. I also hate the top fret buttons. I'm used to the ridges in my old GH guitars. I noticed that when I go for the orange note, my fingers will move down so that my ring finger is on the orange, and pinky is on the fret board. As with the GH3 guitar, this will take some time to get used to.

Drums: Oh man! My brother is a drummer, and was able to hop into Hard/Expert right away. Some of the passages are pretty tough. I almost wish that these drums weren't all "binded" together, and that I could set them up to a position that is more comfortable. It's awkward at times, so that will take some getting used to. I managed to do an OK job at medium.

Singing: At first I thought my microphone didn't work. But then I read the directions, and realized I'm a dumbass. After we got it working, it was pretty fun, and makes this the whole "Rock Band" experience, imo. As long as you realize that you look like a fool, and your friends do too, you can let yourself go and hit some of these notes/passages. We only experimented on Medium with the singing last night. The game really makes you work toward hitting the right pitches/key. You also have to sound out everything like it appears on screen to get a good score.

Things I'm still unclear on:
- How do you activate Overdrive? Does that just work when everyone has reached the top of the left meter? Is there any way we can activate it individually?
- Online multiplayer. How is this working? I tried to get our whole band online last night through my Xbox Live Guest accounts, but when I attempted to bring them all online with me, I was the only one able to get on. Is there a way that I can actually bring on all 4 of us at a time to battle it out with other bands?

Other dislikes:
- The notes on the fret board are too small. I really wish they would have conformed to the GH standards. These thin rectangles are no good.
- I am having a hard time with the HO/PO. Does it exist in this game? There seems like a few good spots to do it, but it doesn't want to work. It's like I have to go back to strumming every individual note (and now that I know how to HOPO properly, I don't want to do that).
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

i never played any guitar hero, so i'm terrible/a spaz and have a hard time with medium on the guitar so far. i'm getting better though
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the mic, you just sing anything when the yellow section comes on and it activates. I believe in overdrive mode you are allowed to add tons of extra lyrics in between the actual ones without penalty.

On the drums, I think you play random stuff in the yellow zone and then nail that last note that pops up.

BTW, the songs that let you jam at the end are a blast. We'd just yell random crap in the mic while wailing away on the instruments racking up points.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

question ... ive only played guitar hero once, and i was playing rock band over the weekend, and on some of the expert songs, on the fast parts, i was having trouble strumming and fingering the notes at the same time. Then I noticed that at some times (not in the solo sections), i only had to strum the first note in the riff, and then just finger the 2nd (and maybe 3rd?) note. But then i wasnt very confident as to when I could just strum once, or i had to strum for every note ... whats the rule/trick behind this?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM

just quick question: I was watching a video of rock band on youtube, and the notes for the guitar looked impossible to distinguish, is it normally that much of a cluster F?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 PM

it's tough at first... but gets easier to distinguish... when playing with 4 people however, it's nearly impossible