Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Foxwoods 10-20: Tough Turn versus a Check-Raiser -- Bet to Protect?

Foxwoods 10-20 Saturday morning. I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep, but the games were so good overnight that I wanted to stick around to put in a second session. Of course, when I arrive, the fishiest donks have departed and are replaced with familiar faces -- and I can barely see straight. Great . . .

The Villain in this hand, the BB, is a semi-regular who plays OK. She will check-raise two pair or better on the turn; however, she's smart enough to donk a one card flush OOP when there's four flush cards on the board. I'm not sure if she's capable of raising as a semibluff on the turn, however.

Anyway, I have been playing for a few hours, and get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the HJ. Folds to me, I look to my left, and the CO is giving his standard "I'm gonna fold on my action" tell, so I raise. Loose button cold calls, as does BB.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB leads out, I raise, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks

Now what's the plan - bet to protect or check it through?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10-20: Tough Turn versus a Check-Raiser -- Bet to Protect?

"Anyway, I have been playing for a few hours, and get dealt K J in the HJ. Folds to me, I look to my left, and the CO is giving his standard "I'm gonna fold on my action" tell, so I raise. "

You should raise anyway.

I'd bet/fold the turn and reevaluate on the river.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10-20: Tough Turn versus a Check-Raiser -- Bet to Protect

What's in the pot at decision time? 5.25 BB's? Your bet is not inducing a fold from any reasonable FD, but being check-raised can push you off a hand that may have 5+ outs to a win.

On the other hand, the 3-flush will often freeze the action; if you bet a c/r will fairly reliably signal that you're crushed (set/str8/flush or KxQs at worst) and otherwise you can take a free showdown UI.

Bet/fold. Against a known aggressive player, value check.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:02 AM

IMO a bet on the turn is mandatory. If you get raised on the turn, then strongly consider folding. If she just calls, the river can be checked behind or bet for value, depending....

I think a turn bet accomplishes the following:
1. You are not giving a free card so you charge her for drawing to a flush
2. Same thing if she has king-dust; you charge her for trying to pair her kicker.
3. You keep the pressure on her and will probably score am option to have a free showdown.

I think though if you check behind on the turn, you basically have to call on the river since you often will induce a river bet from a wider range (she did donk the flop after all).

If she does not have two spades in the hole, the turn ace is actually a good card for you. It narrows her range since such holdings as [As4x] and [As3x] have been eliminated. Also, it puts an overcard to the flop that you can represent.

So basically, a turn bet/fold is my vote. A lot of the time here she has king-dust with that flop donk based on how the FW 10 game plays.

Who is this villain here? Does she wear glasses and have short, blonde hair, kinda butch? If that's her she definitely would donk the flop with a 4-flush.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Bet it. Very few Woods regulars would play a flush draw in this manner. They might lead with a K or J and a backdoor flush.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 AM

If this is the Asian girl this is a pretty easy bet.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the Asian girl

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure there's more than one of those at FW.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10-20: Results

She is not the butch girl with glasses (the one on perpetual tilt if we are thinking of the same person). She is a middle-aged bigger lady with short blond hair.

Anyway, I did bet, she calls.

River: offsuit T

She checks, I think and fire a value bet. She calls and turns up Kx J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Chop Chop.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the BB, is a semi-regular who plays OK. She will check-raise two pair or better on the turn; however, she's smart enough to donk a one card flush OOP when there's four flush cards on the board. I'm not sure if she's capable of raising as a semibluff on the turn, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question, bet/fold.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10-20: Results

Well, the extra good thing about betting the turn is that now you can count on her to not semi-bluff check-raise in the future.

For some reason I am not sure I can place the woman you are talking about. But if it is who I think it is, she plays extremely tight. While it is possible she has KT or Kx suited, she also has a PP and an A fairly often.

I think she will not call a turn bet with Kx or a PP unless she has a spade. But I would still bet the turn in case she has a PP with a spade.

Also, she will never bet or check-raise you with Ax unless x is a K or A - so your value bet on the river may not be what you think it is... I would have checked behind on the river.

Hey Signal, good to know you haven't forgotten the players in the 10/20...