Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Smirnoff Ice

Any Jones soda + Vodka = tasty, but girly drink.

OP I admire your courage to admit you like wine coolers. I bet many of the guys here flaming you like them but wouldn't admit it.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Make lemonade with double the sugar you normally would, mix with fresca and vodka, and then add more sugar.

Whoever said smirnoff ice is made in the same way as beer has to be wrong. I don't know exactly how it's made but could probably google it, but seeing as there's still fermentable sugars in it I don't see how it could be true.

Perhaps they ferment it, filter out the yeast, and then add sugar, but if this is the case this is far from beer.

edit: just found this

[ QUOTE ]
It's the leading drink in a category called "malternatives" - alternatives to malt drinks such as beer. Smirnoff Ice is a vodka-based drink in other countries. But in the United States, it contains no vodka. It is one of the most successful product launches in beverage alcohol history and is particularly popular with young people and women. Smirnoff Ice outsells well-known beers such as Heineken and Corona, the company said.

[/ QUOTE ]

note even the article says it's a kid's/women's drink.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Zima plus a jolly rancher dropped in is pretty similar to smirnoff, you might like that.

for seriously refreshing drinks:

absolut peach + iced tea

mojito's
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM

smirnoff ice is a vodka based cooler (at least here in ontario)

i know that ive seen the malt liquor version in michigan. turns out, apparently, 24 hour stores cant sell hard alcohol after a certain time, but can sell beer a bit longer. malt version lets them sell the smirnoff ice longer. AFAIK
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whoever said smirnoff ice is made in the same way as beer has to be wrong. I don't know exactly how it's made but could probably google it, but seeing as there's still fermentable sugars in it I don't see how it could be true.

Perhaps they ferment it, filter out the yeast, and then add sugar, but if this is the case this is far from beer.

[ QUOTE ]
It's the leading drink in a category called "malternatives" - alternatives to malt drinks such as beer. Smirnoff Ice is a vodka-based drink in other countries. But in the United States, it contains no vodka. It is one of the most successful product launches in beverage alcohol history and is particularly popular with young people and women. Smirnoff Ice outsells well-known beers such as Heineken and Corona, the company said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know how much of a beer snob you want to be, but it's brewed as a malt beverage.

from wiki:
[ QUOTE ]
In Europe and Canada, alcopops tend to be pre-mixed spirits, including vodka (e.g. Smirnoff Ice) or rum (e.g. Bacardi Breezer). In the United States, alcopops are generally un-hopped beers with added sugar, coloring and flavoring; these drinks are legally classified as beers and can be sold in outlets that do not or cannot carry spirit-based drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it is classified as a beer, legally. I would say it's more closely related to beer than any other from of booze.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
smirnoff ice is a vodka based cooler (at least here in ontario)

i know that ive seen the malt liquor version in michigan. turns out, apparently, 24 hour stores cant sell hard alcohol after a certain time, but can sell beer a bit longer. malt version lets them sell the smirnoff ice longer. AFAIK

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the vodka based drink like? whats the taste (Ive never had the smirnoff ice), whats the booze content?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whats the vodka based drink like? whats the taste (Ive never had the smirnoff ice), whats the booze content?

[/ QUOTE ]

Common term for all these drinks (Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezers, etc) is alcopop. That should tell you all you need to know about taste.

Alcohol is typically 5% by volume.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it is classified as a beer, legally. I would say it's more closely related to beer than any other from of booze.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading around a little bit I'll admit this.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know how much of a beer snob you want to be, but it's brewed as a malt beverage.

from wiki:
[ QUOTE ]
In Europe and Canada, alcopops tend to be pre-mixed spirits, including vodka (e.g. Smirnoff Ice) or rum (e.g. Bacardi Breezer). In the United States, alcopops are generally un-hopped beers with added sugar, coloring and flavoring; these drinks are legally classified as beers and can be sold in outlets that do not or cannot carry spirit-based drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for AB... and this is correct.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM

not only are they the least manly drink out there.... if you have any kind of tolerance and drink them to get drunk, the acidity is horrible for your stomach lining.
think ulcers
true story