Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Early Venetian DS hand w/KK

With the diamonds out there, I think you have to bet larger on the flop, something more like 700.

Checking the turn is fine, as is folding to this all-in
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM

So why do we check the turn guys? Are we just trying to keep it cheap and call a single bet, or trying to get out of the hand? I know checkraising is not an option, but still why not bet out in case you still have the best hand? Are you assuming that if you have the best hand the best line is to check/call the rest of the way? Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EP checks, I check, BB bets t2000, EP pushes all in for an additional t8000 or so (enough to put me all in).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call the floor over because I have no [censored] clue how the BB got to bet after you checked.

Anyhow, this has to be a fold live. Online it might be closer, but it still probably a fold.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Had EP folded I could probably go along with calling the 2000 but the all-in means you get off the bus here....

Just be grateful you only lost 700 on this hand.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM

I think we check the turn for pot control, we are trying to see a cheap river incase our opponent just hit the flush. The reason we don't bet out is two fold. 1)Because it is cheaper, if we check and villian decides to slowplay his nut flush lets say or high flush and the borad pairs on fifth street we could stack him or at the least win a big pot. 2) What are we going to do if we bet and he re-raises, are we auto folding, are we calling trying to fill up on fifth street. This guy may have a combo draw like someone else suggested and we could still be ahead or we could be behind. Betting won't really give us to much info and the info we do get isn't worth the money. Assuming the bet was smaller I may call and try to fill up on river because I think we have some nice implied odds. However, if the fifth card came a diamond I would check fold. If the fifth card came a blank, it would have to decide on bet size and my instincts.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 PM

The whole hand seems completely standard.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM

This was live so obviously I don't have the hand history. Given what happened on turn, I apparently messed up the flop action in my initial description. It was actually BB who folded to the flop bet, not the button, so on the turn EP checks, I check, button bets, EP pushes. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

This was pretty much my thinking exactly on the turn, although I'm glad to see some discussion on the decision to check because while I thought the check was best given the circumstances, it also seemed like a pretty weak play and I didn't like making it.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the comments. Results below (in white just in case there are more comments):

<font color="white"> I did fold. Button also folded. EP did not show. I still believe he had the flush, and later hands suggests he did (he showed down several questionable suited hands later, including playing Q6s in EP).

In a sad end to the story, many hours later KK came back to haunt me again, as I got AI three ways PF against QQ &amp; 44 only to have a 4 hit on the turn and cripple me. </font>