Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Stud 8 newbie marginal 6th street decision

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (2.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (2.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Can I call here? Im pretty sure one player has a made low that beats mine, and another player has at least kings up. Is a call here profitable? And do I fold if I do call and miss the flush with the 8 lo?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 newbie marginal 6th street decision

5 BB pot, or 2.5 BB if you win high only.

I'd normally fold, but the two other high hands give you implied odds for a call; your cards are pretty live too. If the guy with a straight gets there, you'll get him to call a raise, and he might even jam. You could also jam with the low hand.

Seat 4 may be passive/being sneaky to get callers, but he may also be paired/two paired. At this limit, theres no guarantee he started with a 3 card low hand.

Raise with a flush, call with a 7 low, call with an 8 low if its only one bet to you. (You should probably toss the 7 low if seat 4 raises.) It'll be about 8 BBs on the river when it gets to you, so you need to win half more than 20% of the time for it to be worthwhile. You will lose often because seat 4 rivers you or had a weak 8 or 7 low on 6th, but you can't give him too much credit.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 PM

I fold it. There's nothing in the pot and I can't think you're even drawing live for low. Seat 4's ultra-passive play makes no sense whatsoever (I'm guessing the 5 paired him on 4th and is worried about the other boards, but jeez).

I have no idea what Seat 1 has but he just paired his board and is betting into 5 guys, one who's showing A352. After investing merely the ante and BI, I'm ok with dropping it and moving on.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Enough other cards are out that you're only 3:1 to make the flush so even if you can't win low, you can prob. make up .5 BB on the river, so I would call 6th.

I would probably lean towards folding 3rd since your hearts are the only thing you have due to the dead aces and your jack...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM

I'm a newb too but I'd call that 6th in a second. I'd probably never make it ther though cause I'd fold 3rd.

You're closing the action on 6th and probably have good implied odds on the river if you make the A-high flush. Also, since seat 4 seems to have no interest in betting his hand, and this is .25/.50, he could easily have something like KQ in the hole.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 AM

No
Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 PM

This is a raise 100% of the time.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Third's a call. Only a complete nit would fold this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would bet fourth. There are a couple of strong boards out there, but they've both checked. Betting now may help you to clear people out on fifth, which you may well want to do. Taking the free card is fine, though.

I'd bet fifth. You have a pretty good draw, and it really doesn't look like anyone has anything. Yes, the one guy is showing three to a bike, but he limped third and checked fourth. Bet and hope they all fold. (They won't.)

I think sixth is a call. I honestly think that you have the only low right now. Obviously, A235 is drawing smoother than you, but he has shown zero strength. I'm guessing he has two pair or started with a high hand or something.

Even if you're drawing dead for low, which is certainly possible, you're drawing very live for high. There are 24 unseen cards, six of which are hearts. That's 3:1 against your hitting. Your immediate pot odds are about 2:1, assuming you only get half. You ought to be able to collect some on the river. Given this and the very real chance that you will win low, I think you should call sixth.

Unimproved, I would call one bet on the river unless it came from the wheel guy.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a raise 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ] Apparently you don't truly understand pot equity and how it relates to a split game. If you raise in these type spots you show a guaranteed long-term net loss.