Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Tim Hardaway: \"I hate gay people.\"

Somebody at SI has a sense of humor, check out the image they chose to accompany his comments:

Killer crossover, indeed.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 AM

Let's be honest here, a large portion of the American population would probably describe their feelings towards gays as "hate" (20-30%? maybe higher?)

Obviously it would vary alot whether or not you asked people in San Franciso and Manhatten vs. Birmingham and Topeka.

I haven't seen the clip yet, so I'm curious as to what context it was said in. If out of the blue, then ya that's odd.

I love how the media forces these fake apologies from celebrities when they say something PC, like it actually means anything or the person changed their mind or something.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM

uat,

Listen to the clip on espn.com he was asked about his opinion of gay people in the NBA. He said some homophobic things, and dan lebatard told him he was being homophobic and tim said he hated gay people. He was straight forward and in context unless they cut off the 5 seconds before the clip where tim said I am joking about the next answer I give.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:48 AM

His apology:

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Yeah, that's not exactly a retraction. "Oops, my bad."
Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's be honest here, a large portion of the American population would probably describe their feelings towards gays as "hate" (20-30%? maybe higher?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the shocking part isn't his feelings on the topic, it's that he said it on radio.

As far as his apology goes, it's likely that he does regret saying it aloud.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously it would vary alot whether or not you asked people in San Franciso and Manhatten vs. Birmingham and Topeka.

I haven't seen the clip yet, so I'm curious as to what context it was said in. If out of the blue, then ya that's odd.

I love how the media forces these fake apologies from celebrities when they say something PC, like it actually means anything or the person changed their mind or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was asked about gay teamates...

at first what he said wasn't terrible- basically just that he would have a problem changing and sharing a locker room with a gay person(I'd assume for the same reasons that a woman would have the problem sharing a locker room with straight guys).

But then the announcer asked him "You know what you're saying is homophobic and bigotry, right?" he really went off and said "I hate gays. They don't belong in the world" or something like that.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His apology:

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

[/ QUOTE ]

why should he retract something he believes? I think its more honest of him to simply admit he shouldn't have said it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:21 AM

I read the full quote/story now.

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. His answer just so happened to be very politically incorrect so he will draw heat for it.

It is surprising he would be so adamant about it repeatedly, knowing he would probably create a little media firestorm. Definitely not a smart career move. He's lucky Anna Nicole Smith apparently had sex with about 300 men in the last few year, so he might be able to fly a little lower than normal.

He may offer a further phoney balogna "apology" depending on the level of flack he gets for it. Expect condemnation from the typical places (GLAAD, Rosie, etc.)
Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His apology:

[/ QUOTE ]

why should he retract something he believes? I think its more honest of him to simply admit he shouldn't have said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And honesty means what again?

The point is not that he was honest, it's that he, speaking as a public figure (like it or not being a pro athlete grants you some sway) made incredibly biggoted remarks, and, again speaking as a public figure, he should've just lied and said "No I was on pills" or something worthy of a statement like that.

In his private life I don't care if he tells everyone that comes to his door that gays are destroying America, or if he puts signs on his yard, but doing that on a radio show is going to cause a big issue. Just leave that [censored] alone.

Cody
Old 02-15-2007, 02:39 AM

I don't want to turn this into a politics thread but

1. Tim Hardaway is an idiot because he should have known better. Nothing good could come from this.

2. Assuming this what he believes(which it very likely is) I see no reason for him to apologize for this comment, he's only representing himself and he has the freedom to say whatever he pleases even if it is racist.

3. While he shouldn't have to apologize it is definetely in his best interest to apologize although any one with 1/2 a brain will realize his apology isn't very sincere.

4. Is this really that surprising? These guys aren't rhodes scholars they're professional athletes. I'm sure there are a lot of other guys who share Hardaway's views on this issue.