Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Ultra exciting blind battle

Not really, it's actually pretty boring. Anyway, villain is Mario Ho, yesterday when I first played with her I think she probably thought I was a nit because I missed a bet on one hand against a fish and then tried to c/r Roc on the river with TPGK in a blind defense situation and he checked behind, so it might have looked like I was actually afraid I didn't have the winner. Today I would guess that Roc has told her the secret that I only look like a nit and am in fact a spazzfish that will bet and raise relentlessly hoping to get everyone to fold. In this must move game she's on my left, she doesn't chop, and since I've probably played about 980732409127409132 times more blind battles than her this suits me fine, though I'd certainly prefer being on her left. Background hand:

I raise J8h in small blind, she calls. J52 two diamonds, I bet she raises I call. Turn 9o I c/r she 3bets I call. River Qd I bet she folds after thinking for a while, meaning she probably had something like A5 exactly. Now the real hand.

I raise AJo, she 3bets I call. Flop Q25 two spades I have no spade. I c/r because my hand is looking good and I'm giving some serious thought to value betting it the whole way if she just calls the flop and turn, I'm sure Roc told her about the fantastic calldown he made yesterday with K high and I had Q high, I want to give her the chance to make the same great play. She calls. Turn J putting two diamonds out as well, I've got A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, she raises. What's the plan?

From our previous blind battle we can gather that she likes to raise/3bet the turn for a free showdown (although I didn't see her hand I can basically guarantee she was trying to convince herself to make a terrible call with a 5 or maybe even worse like some A high, she had a J there never). We can also gather she's very aggro with marginal hands and she doesn't want to let me get the best of her, after all she's the PROFESSIONAL POKER PLAYER and the whole point of her not chopping is to get an opportunity to outplay me, so it probably makes her less than happy that unlike other players that just take her beatings, I pound back twice as hard.

So basically. Call and c/c river? Call and donk river like last time? Call c/r river? 3bet and bet river like a spewmeister? Fold because I don't like money?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Ultra exciting blind battle

call turn, and c/c river. sometimes i bet the river if it's somewhat of a scare card that she most likely can't raise
Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 PM

In the J8 hand I'd prefer just to 3-bet the flop. Going for the check-raise screws you up when she checks the turn behind and frankly your hand isn't necessarily strong enough to warrant risking 3-bets on the turn, especially if a diamond comes off. I also don't like the river bet unless there's some chance of her folding a better hand AND you have a clear decision what to do if raised, neither of which seem likely to me.

I'm also not a big fan of the check-raise in the AJ hand though I can see it if you want to break out of the cycle of just calling down and inducing bluffs a lot. The turn seems like a pretty easy calldown once raised. Stop trying to out-think yourself.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Agree with Nate and will say the river is closer to a check/fold than anything else - she misses river bets so if she bets your jack isn't looking so good.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM

if you really want to get 3 bets in on the turn/river, i would donk the river. though calling down from the turn raise gets you the same amount i think this is like a medium pair a fair portion that's raising for a free showdown and she can talk herself into a call after you did this again to her, especially if the spade misses. a raise could be pretty sticky so i wouldn't do this unless your action is clear between call or fold.

calling down is fine and c/r'ing the flop is not so good. too often the hands that you want to continue are going to fold. she would have to really hate you in order to see the river with A6 or K9 here.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:06 PM

did you ever tell her she has a dude's name?

fwiw, depending on my history with her during that session a stop-n-donk on the river is probably best, but given the other hand you posted i think a checkcall is best.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, Maria obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
calling down is fine and c/r'ing the flop is not so good. too often the hands that you want to continue are going to fold. she would have to really hate you in order to see the river with A6 or K9 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a hand the day before this hand against her boyfriend where I bet/3bet Q9 on an AA4 flop from my big blind vs his button open and he called me down with KQ UI, so I have extra reason to believe she's going to be keeping me honest for a long time.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Oops, Maria obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhhhhhhh, so anyways i googled her and now i know who you are talking about. i have played with her before. she is quite laggy but in my limited experience she's much better than roc (imo). you have to have a horrific image to give that much action against her in these spots, and even so, she's not a moron thats going to call u down with like bottom pair here after you've shown her the goods once or twice.

in said hand, i think it is close between checkcalling or betting the river. if you were thinking of any other line like a turn bet-3-bet or river checkraise, i'd save those for a player i have a real good grip on.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM

well, i still think there's probably much better spots to take advantage of this. you're looking to get value from A-high type of hands but it's discounted a bit cause you have an A also. it just seems counterintuitive to make someone else pay for playing marginal hands aggressively when you're behind a lot of marginal hands yourself.

the raise is probably a lot better if they can fold something like a small pair but from your read this is happening like never.

so yeah what nate said.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 PM

did you show her your hand the first time?

if not, even more reason to donk the river. she will be curious to see what you have. she'll be more inclined to call down with weak hands, and less inclined to make thin value raises. d