Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: ching chong

if people are offended by things that is their problem, not mine.

i pay attention to issues that are important to OOT posters. that's my forum. in general they don't really care if anybody calls each other a ching chong or anything else, and neither do i.

we don't need a bunch of busybodies running around protecting people from things that might offend them or scare them or whatever. the owners of this site have an opinion about what should be [censored] and this is one of those things, which is fine. i will abide by their judgment. i'm just not going around looking for things to add to that list or protect people from.

please note that (to the best of my knowledge) nobody in OOT was offended by this 'ching chong' thing, so i am perfectly in touch with 'issues that are important to people'

you bitches are like a [censored] sewing circle
Old 08-21-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if people are offended by things that is their problem, not mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to miss the point of moderators. if mason doesn't want people offended in a particular way, it's your problem.

[ QUOTE ]
i pay attention to issues that are important to OOT posters. that's my forum. in general they ...

we ...

please note that (to the best of my knowledge) nobody in OOT ...

[/ QUOTE ]

your use of the plural is interesting.

i don't think you're necessarily in touch with what "oot" wants, but much more closely what a smallish group of high volume and long account life posters wants.

at least you seem to possibly understand (by your use of "to the best of my knowledge") that not all people who are offended by something would post actively about their complaint. however, someone must have said something to mat, no?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you seem to miss the point of moderators. if mason doesn't want people offended in a particular way, it's your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to miss the part where i said i will abide by what the owners of this site prefer on this issue.

i don't know who said anything to mat. maybe he took it upon himself to look into it. if it was a complaint from an OOT reader i would hope he would share it with me.

what makes OOT tick is precisely the long-term, close-knit group of posters that are there most often. they are my core demographic. other people wander in and are welcome if they don't suck, but OOT is a community forum and i cater to the people who are the core of that community. that's the way it is. if you guys don't like it, i hear the lounge is looking for posters.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM

i think you are being too defensive.

i got the following pm [ QUOTE ]
Hey

Was just wondering if racial slurs are allowed in oot. A thread there in titled "ching chong mofos who" and this is one of the 1st posts to ever offend me. Ching chong is a racial slur, but I don't want to cause issues if they are allowed in OOT...I don't see any rules against racial slurs in the OOT sticky.

Btw I dont think im being a nit about this...I never say anything when ppl constantly say Oriental, or other stupid words....but ching chong really got to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never heard ching chong before, so i looked it up, saw that there are some who find it highly offensive and therefore it needed to go.

no big deal. the op probably meant no offense and no action was taken against him.

if i was the sole mod of oot i would never have known ching chong was a derogatory term and the thread would have continued until i was notified.

nt!, if you had received that same pm, would you have ignored it?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

no i would certainly answer the PM.

please don't anybody else mistake my abrasive attitude towards citanul for an unwillingness to discuss issues constructively. i am basically sick of all the nitpicking from people who think they can talk down to me about how i run my forum. anyone who has brought an issue up to me appropriately (including citanul via PM and he knows it) has gotten a thoughtful response.

i would probably have asked the user what he wanted me to do, and if i was unsure of the best course of action i would ask mat or the other OOT mods. probably i would have edited the title of the post and asked people not to use that phrase, because other than that it's a decent thread.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM

that's what i figured.

stop defending yourself for awhile.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:01 PM

I, for one, find it rearry, rearry offensive.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

where do i file a complaint about Mat?

"congrats on the ching chong (see thread if you got offended)"
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM

i'm sorry.. but it's just REALLY HILARIOUS to me that someone can hear something like "ching-chong" and be "really offended"
Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry.. but it's just REALLY HILARIOUS to me that someone can hear something like "ching-chong" and be "really offended"

[/ QUOTE ]

in the wrong context its offensive to me, I can understand people being offended if used as a slur.