cause the money you find you can just pocket
the comp chip has no value unless wagered
why would you want to make two bets that are -EV
when you can just make one
youd be much better in the longrun
just wagering your comp chips on one bet

instead of trying to hedge them between two

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this isn't true at all depending on the size of the advantage bet you made (In terms of bankroll %).
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Comp Chips - How to Bet?

This article from Blackjack Forum discusses promo chips and match-plays and the like at length. It talks about maximizing EV and also hedges. I agree with the author that hedges are for nits, but if you must, there are a few hedges in there.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone attempts to join my table as I'm about to shoot, I'll point out to them just what I'm doing and kindly suggest that they might want to wait until my one shoot win or lose session is finished before they place bets. Although, this can often be akin to talking to a brick wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very funny, have you forgotton that craps is a random game? Why would anyone with half a brain care that you are both shooting and betting the don't? The odds aren't any different than if Santa was shooting the dice.

Just in case you wanted to refute by stating that you are some kind of world champion dice setter/shooter my response would be: Then why not use that bionic arm of yours and never throw a seven and bet the do pass line instead of the don't?

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not Jumbo, I just want to let them know exactly what my intentions are...that I'm taking one shoot betting the Don't with a promo chip and that win or lose, I'll be gone afterwards.

The common craps mentality Jumbo is for people to bet alongside a shooter, who is also betting the pass line. That camaraderie is what makes craps a socially enjoyable game. Given that these people are jumping onto an empty table as I'm about to shoot, I find that announcing my intentions leaves me with a clear "craps conscience" afterwards no matter the result.

How many people do you see shooting the dice on the Don't Jumbo? It's a major faux pax in the craps world. Most Don't players simply pass the dice to the next shooter. This is why I will only approach a completely empty table to do this Jumbo...but, I can't stop people from stepping up and placing bets.

I wish I had that bionic arm Jumbo, but I've never attempted to invest the time in training and technique to develop one...although recent literature from many noted gaming authorities suggests that it is possible. What I do know Jumbo, is that if I only survive the come-out roll, the win/lose odds on all subsequent random rolls now favor me somewhere between 6:5 to 2:1. That's good enough for me with a promo chip that I don't want to hedge Dumbo.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Just in case anyone was curious, I was allowed instead to receive $200 in slot play instead of the two $100 comp chips. It was loaded onto my players card, and I went ahead and played the max bet on 25 cent video poker until I had gambled that amount, then I cashed it out. Ended up with $238.

Again, if they had been able to give me 8 $25 chips instead of 2 $100 chips, I'd just gamble them and have no problem. I just don't usually bet as high as $100.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
Just in case anyone was curious, I was allowed instead to receive $200 in slot play instead of the two $100 comp chips. It was loaded onto my players card, and I went ahead and played the max bet on 25 cent video poker until I had gambled that amount, then I cashed it out. Ended up with $238.

Again, if they had been able to give me 8 $25 chips instead of 2 $100 chips, I'd just gamble them and have no problem. I just don't usually bet as high as $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the comp chips only play once (most do) rather than until they lose, then the free-play is a much better deal even with the worst of machines to use it in. The combination of higher ev and lower variance is hard to beat. Congrats.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not Jumbo, I just want to let them know exactly what my intentions are...that I'm taking one shoot betting the Don't with a promo chip and that win or lose, I'll be gone afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me see if I understand you: You don't believe a random craps player is able to walk up to the table, see you are first of all betting with a chip the size of a donut, next that it is on the don't pass, then discern that you want to not make your point and finally that they would still want to play craps. (Almost forgot the most important part, that they would care if you were even there in the first place, much less that you planned on leaving) .

You my chump are delusional.

Jimbo