Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Poker Stars 1Million Guarantee Jitters

Here's the deal. I'm not a tourney player. I do better during the long slow slog of ring games. Tourneys for me are too much time for too much of a long shot to get in big money the more people you get in a tournament.

So when I took second in a 200 man-satellite Frequent Player Point tournament to qualify for the Poker Stars Sunday 1 million, I was a happy, but...then I looked at the number of people involved in last week's tournament. Over 6000 people. That's freakin' crazy.

I'm going to do the tournament. I mean, it's better chances than playing the lottery and whatnot, but...

Does anyone here do these massively large MTTs on a regular basis? I mean, 6000 people is like freeroll numbers, but with a $215 ticket on the line...I know I never would personally do a tournament like this, but having earned a ticket, I figured that I might as well go for it. I was strongly considering taking the tournament credit and turning it around for more likely EV+ tourneys like STTs (for me, anyway, I can usually crash land somewhere in the money).

I could use some advise here. Any threads cover these giant yet big money tourneys?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Poker Stars 1Million Guarantee Jitters

I would unregister and use the $T in more smaller buy-in tournaments;

otherwise, read the anthology of wisdom on MTTs posted in a sticky at the top of SSMTT (or if you do a search, someone wrote a summary of it.; for specific advice regarding this MTT, I would also recommend a search - look through some of the hands that are posted in this forum and look in the MTT community forum for the weekly thread related to the event - lot of hands will be posted.

gen advice for the tourney - be mindful of position - later is better = more playable hands; pay attention to your opponents and try to get a read - are the loose or tight, aggressive or passive? will they defend blinds? do they seem like they know what they are doing or no?

one last thing - if your M ( stack - blinds/antes ratio gets to 10 or below, you need to push or fold pre-flop).
Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would unregister and use the $T in more smaller buy-in tournaments;

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Okay, thanks for the help Weaktight. I'll take a look at the sticky and see what I can find.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 PM

I guess it depends on your situation. Can you put the $215 to good use elsewhere, or is it such a tiny fraction of your BR that it's a drop in the bucket? Would you get $215 worth of enjoyment or poker education from playing in it, if the money doesn't matter? From your post, it doesn't sound like you would, but those are the sorts of things others can't really answer for you.