Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Hands to choose to play against AAxx?

Let's say you strongly suspect your opponent raises you pre-flop with AAxx. Then it is probably quite okay to call with a lot of hands and try to crack him but are there some hands that you should NOT play (besides the obvious like 8886 or something)?

I read that a pair on hand - if I remeber correctly - was to your disadvantage when up against aces. How much of an impact has this? Is it just not playable at all, something like QQT9? Or is is only intersting with shorter stacks? To summarize: when does this concept come into play? Could you give me an example? Or is it to much of technical detail to bother about?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Hands to choose to play against AAxx?

Any comments on this?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 PM

mostly a useful concept in deep HU games; depending on your opponents propensity to monkey-push dry aces on dry boards where you flop sets and drawy boards where you flop big draws.. Against very aggro players, I tend to play almost any 4 against hands where I feel that they have AAxx because they are so likely to push any flop, which in the long run is to my advantage due to re-raise bluffing scary boards, etc.. Realistically though, you want hands like 789T etc against AAxx..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM

any hand with a pair or an ace makes it much worse.

I often fold otherwise good hands containing an ace like AQJ8ss if someone reraise that I strongly suspect have aces.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Any connectors, like 4567, are perfect to play against AA. Playing really high connectors, like TJQK, are a bit less advantageous because if the A hits for your straight he just hit a FH draw. Double suited obviously more important than not, but be just slightly wary of relying solely on that flush draw as there's a much better chance they have the A-high one.

They're even better if you are 3-way vs two people who obviously have AA and they're gearing up for an AIPF, as their advantages of sets and FHs are very diminished.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM

If the stacks are deep enough, just about anything.

In general I'd like anything that's not a pair and doesn't use an ace to complete it (ie. prefer 9876 over QJT9)

I like rundowns (9876, 9875, T986, etc), an ace suited with 3 connecting (A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]76, or with 1-gap: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]87). Even a hand like J975 can do very well with sufficient dead money in the pot. Clearly suited and double-suited increase the chances that I'll play. (example stolen from Rolf Slotboom: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a 53:47 underdog to 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

And if I'm fairly sure villain has AAxx, I don't mind playing OOP if I can get all my money in on the flop.

And to add to what a poster before me wrote...if I can get AI with an 9876ds-type hand against multiple players (both with AAxx or AAxx vs. KKxx), I love it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 AM

having a pair in your hand doesn't hurt as much as people think.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree - you are about 7-1 to flop a set with something like QQxx, and from some math i believe buzz did its about the same to flop a much weaker 2 pair with say 5678. Of course you are going to have some kind of straight potential with the rundown, but i much prefer the set
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree, one big difference for example is that if you flop something like a pair+gutshot with a pairless hand you are often a favourite vs a dry overpair.

example:

pokenum -o as ad 3c 2h - ks jd 6c 4h -- 7s 8d jc
Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing 7s Jc 8d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As 3c Ad 2h 401 48.90 419 51.10 0 0.00 0.489
Ks 6c Jd 4h 419 51.10 401 48.90 0 0.00 0.511
Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 AM

You'll find yourself coolered more often than you think if you overvalue rundown hands.

And well, you sure paid a big price for a 51/49 favorite. not my idea of profit. sorry.