Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:45 PM

Default A preflop question for the 2-3 style blind structure

Last night, I was playing in a blind structure in which the small blind is 2/3 of the big blind. Heres a sample situation:

Some folds, a loose/passive limps, some more folds, and the LAG button raises. We are in the small blind, and the BB is a straightforward TAG.

The button is raising maybe the top 30% of his hands as well as at least a random 10% of the rest--and that's before he went on mega tilt from a recent hand in which we had KK and he had Q8 on a Q88(Kx) board. He has raised 52o preflop, before the tough hand. Now he's really steaming.

We have also iso-raised him before with ATo, and gone to showdown on a KQQ and 2 rags board, and showed the ace high (he had JJ). So both he and the BB know we are capable of isolating.

If we were in a normal blind structure, I would:
Raise with 66+, A8o+, A6s+, KQs
Call with KQo, KJs, QJs, QTs-JTs
and fold the rest.

Since it was a 2/3 small blind, I planned to:
Raise 22+, A6o+, A2s+, KJo+, KJs-KQs, KQo-KJo
Call KTs-K7s, QJs-Q8s, JTs-J9s

So, how'd I do, micros?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: A preflop question for the 2-3 style blind structure

If it were me, I'd continue to play the same hands at the same odds. It just means that I'm playing more preflop because I'll be getting better odds a lot more often (so, for example, if I'm dealt a hand that I want 7:1 preflop to play...if SB = 1/2 BB, then I need two limpers to get 7:1. With SB = 2/3 BB, I only need need one limper to get better than 7:1 now).
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Well it costs us less to isolate with a hand that has showdown value UI, like pairs and ace high hands, that are ahead of his range.

So I think we want to open up our raising range to make this HU with the LAG, and do so more often than we would in a typical blind structure because the risk/reward ratio is better.

But it's very possible I'm overcompensating, which is why I posted this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 AM

Your odds are not that much better. With one limper and a raiser and you in the SB putting up $1, there's $13 in the pot ($1 SB, $3 BB, $3 limp, $6 raise) and you have to call $5, for 2½ish-1 odds; but if you pay $2 you're getting 14-4 or 3½-1. Yeah, it's nicer, but it's not nearly the bonus that you get if the pot is unraised when it gets to you.

And your three-betting range should be exactly the same. In both cases, you have to assume the call and the reraise is exactly the same.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 AM

I don't think the sb investment is worth extending the range as much for isolating, rather I think it gives me a few more that I can limp with.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the sb investment is worth extending the range as much for isolating, rather I think it gives me a few more that I can limp with.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The 2/3 sb does not make raising more attractive than a normal blind structure. At least to any great degree. Your main reason for raising any hand here is the player on the button and his exploitable tendencies. I do not think raising a hand like 22-55 is a profitable play in this spot. However, because you are getting a slight discount calling with these small pairs for set value becomes more attractive.