Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Stud8 - cold calling 2 ok with A96 diamonds?

Reads: This is in a HORSE rotation. Seat 4 is an ultra-lagtard. He has $10k at the table and is just splashing around. In the flop games he raises or calls a raise in literally every hand. Once I saw him 3-bet with 36o and bet the entire way. In stud hi he plays the same way. Obviously in Razz and stud8 he can't play the same way, but he is still way too LAG. (BTW there are 2 other players playing exactly like this too and a passive idiot. best table ever). Seat 5 is pretty solid, but obviously knows about seat 4, and is probably reraising light.

How bad is it to play this marginal hand in this situation? When I call what is my plan on 4th if I hit a high non-diamond card?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1,50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.90 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (11.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (13.45 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (15.45 BB - $154,50)
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Stud8 - cold calling 2 ok with A96 diamonds?

I would play it the same I think
Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Given your reads, I play Third like you. Against a more seasoned, difficult crew (and maybe against unknowns) I would fold because there are straight and pair cards out along with another Ace.

I raise Fourth because the LAGboob will call with a gutter, fd or small pair, and the Aces will call and may even re-raise (which you ought to call). Getting stuck in the middle with a live flush draw isn't the disaster it is with a hand like one pair.

I would consider any non-diamond big card on Fourth street a brick, and would be unwilling to get put in the middle. If your hand was live in aspects other than Diamonds, I would probably see the Fifth card.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Your outs for pairs or trips are dim, and I only continue on 4th if I hit a diamond like you did, I play it the same, possibly raising 4th. I like to be aggressive with 4 card flushes on 4th tho.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

The call on 3rd may be OK based on reads, but there is a diamond out and all your number cards are out. I don't think this hand is that strong.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads: This is in a HORSE rotation. Seat 4 is an ultra-lagtard. He has $10k at the table and is just splashing around. In the flop games he raises or calls a raise in literally every hand. Once I saw him 3-bet with 36o and bet the entire way. In stud hi he plays the same way. Obviously in Razz and stud8 he can't play the same way, but he is still way too LAG. (BTW there are 2 other players playing exactly like this too and a passive idiot. best table ever). Seat 5 is pretty solid, but obviously knows about seat 4, and is probably reraising light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't this be in the TV forum?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Was I at this table with you at some point? I remember a guy w/ like $10,000 on 5/10 last night.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM

No, I played this afternoon, I think around 10-12 AM full tilt time
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 AM

maybe i'm a nit but i thought the consesus would be 3rd is an easy fold having to call a reraise.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 AM

Usually, with these types of hands, I want everything just right. I'm not being a nit, it's just that these hands are trailing to a big pair(like AA), and they are also trailing to a 3 card low. I don't like calling 2 cold, I don't like that another diamond was laid out, and I also don't like seeing all those low cards out there (especially seeing that a lot of your backdoor straight cards are out there, too). Just something else to consider when you're playing a hand that needs to hit 2 perfect cards and right away. I'm not advocating a fold on 3rd, I just think it's close, and what will sway my decision are the tendencies that these players have shown in the past *after* 3rd street takes place.

Other than that, I play it the same.