Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Default LO8 - Playing bad low hand on button A664

I think I mostly played this hand because I was bored. I am a tight player so I guess maybe I thought they'd give me respect. Does playing this hand have any merit, or is just a bad play all around?

Flop and river pretty much play themselves, but what about the turn? I don't know if I should have bet there. What do you think?

Sorry about raw HH, none of the converters work since this is in a HORSE rotation.

Full Tilt Poker Game #4007924826: Table Woodview - $3/$6 - Limit Omaha H/L - 20:43:04 ET - 2007/10/29
Seat 1: beffbernard ($91)
Seat 2: roggles ($117.50)
Seat 3: Naftunator ($83.50), is sitting out
Seat 4: KatmanWalkin ($105.50)
Seat 5: desertfox81 ($43)
Seat 6: myskoxe ($132)
Seat 7: Gamblor29 ($44)
Seat 8: drewery ($218)
KatmanWalkin posts the small blind of $1.50
desertfox81 posts the big blind of $3
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to roggles [Ah 6h 6c 4c]
myskoxe folds
Gamblor29 folds
drewery folds
beffbernard folds
Gamblor29 stands up
roggles raises to $6
CHOPMAN15 adds $60
KatmanWalkin calls $4.50
desertfox81 calls $3
*** FLOP *** [4h Jd 3c]
KatmanWalkin checks
desertfox81 checks
roggles bets $3
KatmanWalkin calls $3
desertfox81 folds
*** TURN *** [4h Jd 3c] [2s]
desertfox81 stands up
KatmanWalkin checks
CHOPMAN15 adds $60
roggles checks
*** RIVER *** [4h Jd 3c 2s] [5s]
KatmanWalkin checks
roggles bets $6
KatmanWalkin calls $6
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: LO8 - Playing bad low hand on button A664

[ QUOTE ]
I think I mostly played this hand because I was bored. I am a tight player so I guess maybe I thought they'd give me respect. Does playing this hand have any merit, or is just a bad play all around?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Roggles - You'll get some disagreement about it, since it's borderline with serious flaws. But suited ace four hands are mostly playable for me. I don't like the pair of sixes, but I'd want to see the flop with it. Raising pre-flop is fine.
[ QUOTE ]
Flop and river pretty much play themselves, but what about the turn? I don't know if I should have bet there. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]I would bet the turn.

Buzz
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 AM

i like it. i don't think i'm betting turn there cuz a lot of players think "guy raised preflop with A2xx and just got counterfeited. let me rep the wheel or nut straight."

since this is HORSE, factor in the level of skill this player has in O8. if the player sucked and was passive, it might skew me to make a razor thin turn bet.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM

Continue betting the turn, once he checks you should be fairly certain he doesn't have a wheel or straight . Your low is good.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Continue betting the turn, once he checks you should be fairly certain he doesn't have a wheel or straight . Your low is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a bad assumption to make.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 PM

I don't mind the raise preflop at all. You've got position...3 working cards with a suited Ace, and a decent chance to steal the blinds.

Flop: If you can bet that flop against 2 opponents, you should be betting the turn as well.

Am I reading this correctly, did one of the players actually leave the table as the turn card was dealt? Ok, aside from that being bad ettiquette, now you know that you're only facing 1 opponent and I think you should bet the 2nd nut low in this spot. If he doesn't have the wheel, it gives you the chance to get him to fold a better high hand, because, a lot of players will surrender a hand like top pair/no low once the low gets there. Could you imagine if the river was an offsuit King and you checked the turn and the river and he flips up something like J9TQ for middle pair with no low? That's just handing him a gift imo.

Thing is, if you didn't hit that bingo card on the river, it probably would've went "check", "check", and now there's a great chance that he takes 1/2 the pot away with a high hand, but had you bet it on the turn, you give him that chance to make the fold. And to me, putting yourself in a spot to scoop the hand without having to catch good on the river is WAY worth it opposed to checking the turn and hoping he doesn't have the wheel.