Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my personal favorite is someone saying something like this "I was afraid of a possible flush draw making it so I didn't bet the turn."

[/ QUOTE ]

People who have never heard of value and think the only reason to bet is 1) you have the nuts 2) to make people fold

"Why should I bet [or raise]? They're going to call anyway"
Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, my personal favorite is someone saying something like this "I was afraid of a possible flush draw making it so I didn't bet the turn."

[/ QUOTE ]

People who have never heard of value and think the only reason to bet is 1) you have the nuts 2) to make people fold

"Why should I bet [or raise]? They're going to call anyway"

[/ QUOTE ]
You know i've gotten into arguments on more than one occasion with good players about this. By good I mean consistant winners playing full time some relying entirely on poker for income. The basic argument is calling a raise or bet on the flop with what is very likely the best hand against a calling station type player on a draw heavy board and waiting for a safe turn card before getting it in. i.e. top two or bottom set on a two tone straight draw board or a flopped flush against certain opponents you can pretty safely say don't have you beat but will call you with the stiff ace or a set

While there are are certain circumstances where this may be the best play (i.e. you know you're still gonna get payed off fully and you can confidenty fold when certain cards hit) but these circumstances are not only rare but require a very strong read.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail here but i guess it really surprises me that so many good players give up so much value here just to reduce varience.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then my personal favorite, 4-8 game, I raise 99 after a limper in LP, CO reraises, I call. Flop 9xx, I bet, CO raises, limper folds, I reraise, she 4 bets, I raise (no cap in HU pot), she reraises... until she's all in (had about 40 behind after the PF betting). She flips over AKo drawing dead after the flop, lol. Explanation: You have to be aggressive with AK because people will bluff you out with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW

My favorite was from an old poker book I found(from the mid 70's) explaining hold 'em. In one section states that a hand like T9 was stonger than a hand like JJ, since the T9 had more ways to improve on the flop.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal fav was when a guy was telling an obviously new player something like "Some dealers let good cards win, some let bad cards win. You need to find out which dealers are which." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG yes, I forgot about that one. I know a couple of people who believe this. They're also the kind that believe a certain seat can be hot or cold, that some people are inherently luckier than others and that someone can mess up your blackjack hand by taking a hit when they shouldn't have.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My favorite was from an old poker book I found(from the mid 70's) explaining hold 'em. In one section states that a hand like T9 was stonger than a hand like JJ, since the T9 had more ways to improve on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what was the context? If you know you're up against AA or KK 910 actually has slightly more equity than JJ and you're going to encounter a lot more profitable situations on the flop.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 PM

"Offsuit hands are better than suited hands because suited hands can only make 1 type of flush. Offsuit hands can make 2."

Oh, wait, that was me. (Quoting Bill Fillmaff, of course.) Definitely confused a few people at my table.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then my personal favorite, 4-8 game, I raise 99 after a limper in LP, CO reraises, I call. Flop 9xx, I bet, CO raises, limper folds, I reraise, she 4 bets, I raise (no cap in HU pot), she reraises... until she's all in (had about 40 behind after the PF betting). She flips over AKo drawing dead after the flop, lol. Explanation: You have to be aggressive with AK because people will bluff you out with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it mention that JJ only had 2 outs to improve while 9T had 6, and to stop whining when your PP lost? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The saddest thing about this is that someone who wanted to play poker professionally said this to me like it was right. I thought he was kidding, but he wasnt. I havent seen him at the local card room since. He was a nice guy too. I need to stop assuming people make random jokes like me.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Idk if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but Phil Helmuth's gem,

"AKo is better than AKs because you can make a flush with either suit"
Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM

Not long ago I made the 2nd nut flush on the turn in a headsup pot. I bet/3bet and the guy 4bet me, and the whole table oohed and ahhed at the big pot. I called and checked the river and he checked behind, showing the ace of my suit.

I couldn't help but comment something like, "geez, what the hell dude?" He responded that he wanted to get more money in the pot in case he made his flush on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]