Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic

[ QUOTE ]

I like this game much more than Mario 64 so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. No camera issues gives it a HUGE boost over Mario 64.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Exactly. There were always parts of 64 that took you forever because you had to line up everything.

Plus spin move >>>> punch. And shooting star bits and then running into enemies? Brilliant.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Think I just beat the first galaxy and I'm having a blast with this game.

This is probably the most fun I've had with a video game in quite some time.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 AM

this 10 point scale is becoming [censored]. I've played this game and i am a video game connoisseur, but its not a 9.7/10.

if 5/10 is average, 1/10 DO NOT PLAY, 10/10 Best game ever, this game is somewhere around a 9. Games like metal gear solid, the ocarina of time, startcraft, super mario world, half-life and golden eye are all around 9.7's.

The thing about video games is that most of them, even the bad ones, are fun at first. What makes a video game worthy of a 9.7 is that its GREAT fun to play at first and GREAT fun after countless hours. Super mario galaxy is, for sure, a great game to play at first. But to say its better than the ocarina of time is impossible to say now.

That said, this game is still hugely good, a must buy, but don't believe the hype. Believe the must buy hype, but not the best game ever hype.... at least not yet
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 AM

I'd say mewse has a pretty good point. I almost bought this today. Had the game in hand, the $25 gift card SKU in pocket. After reading the bit on the back about co-op, which pretty much sounded just like what MasterShakeJr said, and thanks for the response, btw, I decided not to.

I think the next game that will really get my attention will be one that incorporates co-op in a meaningful way. Single player games just bore the [censored] out of me anymore, what can I say? (then again, my problem with most games is that there's just nothing new anymore) A mario 64-esque game that had certain parts that you could only do with 2 characters playing at the same time, now THAT would interest me. Accomplishing larger goals while working with another person > accomplishing smaller, easier goals alone, imo. I guess no one else agrees though, evidenced by the death of ToeJam and Earl, and the brief success of the Battlefield series. Sorry, I'll stop ranting.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this 10 point scale is becoming [censored]. (snip) its not a 9.7/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely don't qualify as a video game expert, but I agree with this point. One of the main reasons I bought this game right when it was released was because of the reviews it had been getting. I wasn't, and am still not floored at all with it and I don't think it deserves these incredible ratings it's getting. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really, really good game, just not 9.7 good.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this 10 point scale is becoming [censored]. I've played this game and i am a video game connoisseur, but its not a 9.7/10.

if 5/10 is average, 1/10 DO NOT PLAY, 10/10 Best game ever, this game is somewhere around a 9. Games like metal gear solid, the ocarina of time, startcraft, super mario world, half-life and golden eye are all around 9.7's.

The thing about video games is that most of them, even the bad ones, are fun at first. What makes a video game worthy of a 9.7 is that its GREAT fun to play at first and GREAT fun after countless hours. Super mario galaxy is, for sure, a great game to play at first. But to say its better than the ocarina of time is impossible to say now.

That said, this game is still hugely good, a must buy, but don't believe the hype. Believe the must buy hype, but not the best game ever hype.... at least not yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't this same logic be applied to any game getting good reviews?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really stupid post. All of those games were given 9.7s when they were released without being given time to age. If what you say is accurate then no game could be given a 9.7 because all games are reviewed as soon as they are released.

No one is saying this game is "better" than the ocarina of time because its impossible to compare the 2. They were released years apart on different system. It is simply getting better reviewer scores upon initial release.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 PM

goldeneye has pretty weak replay value, shooters have advanced so far

ocarina of time, super mario world have longievity
Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goldeneye has pretty weak replay value, shooters have advanced so far

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh ... i was still playing the multiplayer on that game two years ago in the dorms and if i could get 2 more 64 controllers from friends id still be playing it