Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 PM

Default StudH/L 30/60 Question

Hey guys I play a whole lot of razz and if you play pokerstars you may have seen me, but im trying to make the switch, and I just want to know if I played this hand alright, Im reallynot sure what to do in these situations. I think I probably played it best, but I may be wrong...

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (5.33 BB)

If this is a trivial hand Im sorry Im learning, oh and if I shoudlnt be playing 30/60 then dont tap the glass [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: StudH/L 30/60 Question

I'm not great at adapting to short-handed, so my thinking is really for full-ring, but I like a c/f on on 4th. If seat 1 is a reasonable player, it looks like he has more going for high than you. Seat 2 most likely has a razz hand like 275 or he has a pair and a baby, like (77)5. If he had a better hand he would have raised. You have really mild equity heads up against seat 2 either way, but it's too easy to get outplayed because his board will look much scarier. And with seat 1 possibly having a better high hand I think it's a fold.

The reservation here is that I might assign seat 1 and 2 too good hands, since I'm not used to short handed
Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM

whyyyyyyyyyy are u folding this when seat 1 is showing a 5?

edit: to clarify, it is unlikely that seat has a better high hand since he didnt reraise on 3rd, and it is obviously very unlikely that seat 2 has trips given seat 1 has a 5.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 PM

Raise 5th, see how he and the Q react to it, and reevaluate on 6th. I would think that if the Q doorcard had QQ or better, he would've raised you on 3rd. I think the other player probably hit 2 pair, which you're not far behind to. Plus, if you raise 5th, he's probably going to give you 2 pair and unless he improves on 6th, he'll more than likely check it you, and depending on what you hit, you can always take the option and check behind and hope to improve on the river.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: to clarify, it is unlikely that seat has a better high hand since he didnt reraise on 3rd, and it is obviously very unlikely that seat 2 has trips given seat 1 has a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding 4th is perfectly reasonable. The pot's small and the most reasonable/likely hands for your opponents are a 4 card low, and a totally live 4-flush with either 2 overcards or a 3-low to go with it. JJ doesn't look too good here.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding 4th is perfectly reasonable. The pot's small and the most reasonable/likely hands for your opponents are a 4 card low, and a totally live 4-flush with either 2 overcards or a 3-low to go with it. JJ doesn't look too good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

folding 4th would be terrible.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

folding 4th would be terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly do people mean by folding fourth? Hero is first to act. Do you mean check/folding fourth?

I might check/fold if the Q bet, or I might call, but I'd call if the low bet. You are probably an equity dog and you are also not beaten at this point. Playing for the high half as an underdog is a bad idea, but you can't really tell that on fourth.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM

you have about 25% equity on 4th, and two opponents that are likely to go all the way to the river. The only way you are likey to get folds out of either one of them is you pairing your doorcard or the A and them catching bad. If you're fairly intent on showing this hand down, you have really bad reverse implied odds. If you're willing to dump it if your opponent's boards get kind of ugly, your going to be folding pretty often, and just needlessly putting money in pot on 4th.

I'd bet 4th here like he did, and see how 5th comes down knowing full well that I'll be check/folding a lot, but just check/folding 4th is perfectly reasonable as well. You have a pair a jacks in a hilo game, and both opponents have somewhat menacing boards. Unless the guy with the Q is bad enough to coldcall hands like KQJ or 77Q or the bringin is bad enough to call 3rd with 2 low cards and a brick, our equity sucks, and our hand is going to be very hard to play correctly on later streets.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM

this is the problem of playing a marginal hand like split J's.. the mistake you made was playing it initially IMO
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the problem of playing a marginal hand like split J's.. the mistake you made was playing it initially IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so incredibly wrong. 4 handed with no A doorcard, split jacks is not marginal at all. the game is 4 handed. as the game gets more shorthanded, stud8 plays more like stud hi. you need to get out of the full ring mindset when analyzing a shorthanded hand.