Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM

Default My Recommendation

Play in a game where the players are so bad, all u can do the whole time is say "man, these guys are horrible." If you're playing in a game where 5 of your opponents are competent, and the other 2 "kinda suck", you could probably do yourself a favor by moving down , or finding a different game.

I've been trying to support myself playing this game, and lemme tell you, for a marginal playa like myself it ain't easy.. My most valuable lesson : I sat at a 10/20 limit omaha 8 or better table. The guys were crazy, 3 betting and capping any four cards preflop, and hanging around to the river with the crappiest low draws possible. They were crazy, but their errors were on the side of aggression, not passiveness. I lost 2 grand in this game, in 2 days. I almost went crazy. 2 grand is more than a lot of people make over here in a whole year. Since then, I learned a coupla things, I play at stakes I am comfortable at, I am done taking shots. And, if the game is crazy in that players are betting and raising like nut jobs, it is not necessarily a good game.

The reason why I posted this is because I've seen some chatter on here about game quality etc, and I really think game selection is super important. I play very little stud now, I have actually moved over to "big bet poker" where you can really punish your opponents for their mistakes. Jon Ivan made a post about this one time, but in big bet poker, I really think about every decision more carefully and concentrate a lot more on profiling my opponents/ learning their tendencies.

I will post some pics of Thailand if any one wants. I will be back in MA for April, I think me and frappeboy plan on going to Foxwoods sometime.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: My Recommendation

I think the biggest problem with taking shots is that even when you have +EV losing is usually much worse for you than winning is good for you. Emotionally it's even worse. If you play a lot I think it's important to keep your emotional variance within certain limits or the money your making just goes into [censored] to help you relieve stress, and that's when you're winning. If you're in a downswing it's hard to even get up in the morning.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem with taking shots is that even when you have +EV losing is usually much worse for you than winning is good for you

[/ QUOTE ]
This is VERY true. I am currently trying to get back to limits I used to play. I know I can beat the higher limits but one really bad session when trying to move up just kills me.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 AM

What is the coolest thing youve done over there?