Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

How can u be so blind obviously the guy with 25k nows hes making it into the money (ie ps tourney money or seat) why the heck would he call. Contradictorily the guy with 13k needs to win some pots to get in.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 AM

Well, this is my thinking as well, but perhaps in the low $ satellites I play in I just don't see as much 'logical' satellite thinking as I would expect.

In adanthar's example, ss still has 13BB. In the satellites I play, I very often see people waiting til 4-6BB for desperation (i.e. the thinking that adanthar's post presumes). Also in the satellites I play, safe mid/large stacks are always making tremendously bad calls of all ins with hands like KTs and A9o.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 AM

While we are on the subject of satellites. Anyone care to give a few pointers on the right strategy for pushbotting close to the bubble.

Assume a situation with 20 seats, 25 players left. 15 stacks that are of a safe stack (if it is possible to say that) and the rest who probably need to gamble, or at least need to steal a few times. Do you more or less push any two when it's folded to you and there are a safe stack in the BB.

I'm assuming it's more important who is in the blinds and the amount of "unsafe" stacks between you and the blinds than what your cards are. Correct? Any other general tips for the bubble situation.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 AM

I think it depends on how safe the BB person is. If they have a huge stack such that they are safe even if they called you and lost and then called someone else and lost then they can play king maker and call people when they feel like it. You want someone whose status would change if, and only if, they called you and lost.

The short stacks status changes if he calls you on both a win and a lose. A huge stack may not change on either outcome if he calls. Some one who will be crippled if he calls and loses but will not be any better off if he calls and wins is ideal.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the double shootouts. Maybe I feel I play shorthanded better than most. Of course, many of the DS's have tough competition, but I can already tell the level is decreasing as many of the best players have won their seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the DS's too but it may be results oriented thinking... I've been lucky enough to win 2 out of the 5 that I've played lifetime. Still, I've met a few people who've had very good success in these (biggest sample size though was one guy who was 4 for 40). Whenever I've played there have been at least 3-4 completely clueless players on my first table and a couple of these even on the final table. There must be some kind of overlay for good players...
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Andathar, every once in a while there is a post, instant message, etc about poker that is incredibly clear to me and will immediately help me in future tournaments, and will make me a better player... this is the first in a while, thank you.

-Mike
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 PM

It's adanthar, but thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi Adanthar

Nice post, I'm curious as to when you switch off though?

I play sats often and consistently reach the bubble stages with a stack that is hovering around the bubble poition. (i.e 20 left/ 15 seats, me 10-14th position) This is more so in turbos.

This is because when I get a reasonable stack size, I'm playing very very tight,( when I say reasonable it's close if I'm making a seat or not) Do you continue to play when you have a decent position and only switch off when its a lock for the seat?

P.S Are you still pushing at the end of Turbos due to all the stalling and the fact you can bust out even if your in the top 10 in chips?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Very nice of you to post this.

Many, if they came to the same conclusion, would not.

I guess the $5R to the DS won't be as fishy....damn. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy