Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Being a Nit in full ring profitable?

Okay i know this post is a bit long but can anyone give me some insight? Thanks.

I know a nit is someone who doesn't put all their chips into the pot unless they have a monster... usually a set to crack someones overpair or having the NUT flush. Most NITs buy in full in a cash game because they want to stack you since they wouldn't get stacked unless they hold the absolute nuts. My question is should i be a NIT? I am pretty average and raise with junk in LP etc and do play hands like AQ and AJ sometimes in LP, if its suited definitely. I was playing on full tilt and noticed one player who was playing 50NL 12 tabling and he was the nittiest player i witnessed but was so profitable.

I only had 50BB to start and he had 100BBs or so and I had KK raised PF and got called by him and 2 other players. Flop comes 3 9 K rainbow, i bet 3/4 of pot, he calls... i know he has a set or Aces b/c last time he called my reraise when i was in SB and just flat called my 3bet and of course got it all in with me on the flop of 3 7 J and he RR me all in with AA. He calls my 3/4 pot bet on the 39K board and one other caller who I assume has a FD. I went all in on turn but it was only 1/2 the pot and he went all in and he flipped over 33 and other player folds... river was blank and i won the pot.

This player definitely knows what he is doing but i also know hes a tight nit so I know most of the time what he has but he stacks other players. Only in this situation he got unlucky because of set over set and I know he thinks i had AA or AK. The bad part of being a nit is that you won't get paid off when you do hit a set to a strong player.

So whenver I play full ring with full stack and raise with Aces and get 2 callers, ussually i let it go after the turn when the flop is rainbow 3 5 8 and i get 2 callers b/c it is obvious one of them has a set and the other player at worst has a pair and i just let it go b/c Aces is only one pair UNLESS i know the player is a loose donkey who calls with 98 etc but usually games are so nitty that Aces are almost never good by the turn with 2 other players.

When i see Aces with full stack, i want someone to have a strong hand so that we can get it in preflop but that doesn't happen most of the time. But its not so good when i get a lot of action on the flop.

So would playing like a nit be profitable? Like calling raises with all pocket pairs and trying to stack and keeping the pot small with Aces and Kings? I see these nits raise PF with Aces and just check call the turn and river to people who called their flop bet when the board reads J 5 4 8 10 because their so afraid of getting stacked by a set. Some of these NITs don't even play pocket pairs like 22-55 b/c their afraid of losing their stack to a higher set. I heard about this topic strategy called TOP SET MINING which is these nits won't go all in unless they hold 88 on a 8 6 3 board or JJ on a J 10 6 board which I think is going a bit extreme.

It does seem profitable b/c you can play 12 tables and just play NIT STYLE but nits annoy me so I don't want to be one. Only thing i like about nits is that a flop bet tells you if they have something etc and they never have fancy plays.

Comments from nits and non nits would be great. Can you also tell me which one of them you are? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Being a Nit in full ring profitable?

Yes you can be a nit and win at FR. You can also not be a nit and actually play poker and win a lot more more money.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM

I'll try to keep it short. I'll elaborate if asked.

Playing like a nit can be profitable at small stakes. Playing TAG can be more profitable but will have more variance. LAG can be even more profitable yet, but also with even more variance. Rakeback can give a super-nit a very straight graph.

The better you opponents the less profitable nitty play will be, to the point where it is not profitable. If you are a obvious nit good players will easily adapt - stealing small pots from you and getting out of the way of big bets. Nitty play is exploitive play. It takes advantage of players who go too far with mediocre hands and with calling station tendencies. As exploitive play, it is also open to be exploited.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you also tell me which one of them you are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I forgot. I probably look like a nit or a TAG and play very tight, but I do a lot of stealing as well. Basically a nit plus deception.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 PM

I know you actually play poker in 6 max but full ring just have more nits than usual now. Would you categorize a Tag as someone willing to go all in on a 7 5 2 flop whereas a nit would never?

Also, at what level will a nit not profit much? I play at 50NL and still see a lot of players stack off their AA/KK or TPTK to a nit with their set. I somehow do most of the time can sniff out a set easy because of how tight a player plays.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 PM

it will work...see FTP botters
I think Nation coached them
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it will work...see FTP botters
I think Nation coached them

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the bots were like 16 vpip? Although their pf raise was pretty low iirc. On another note, where has nation been recently?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM

I describe myself as a laggy-TAG.

I don't mind having a couple 8/4 nits at my table, because they are very easily exploitable. If I raise pf and they cold-call I can profitably c-bet 100% of the time, and fold to resistance (assuming I didnt flop a big hand myself) because they are set-mining and generally fold if they don't flop it.

In short, playing like a nit can win money from droolers, but it will be very unprofitable against good players.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Are there any nits here that don't profit and actually lose?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you also tell me which one of them you are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I forgot. I probably look like a nit or a TAG and play very tight, but I do a lot of stealing as well. Basically a nit plus deception.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like my game too. What kind of stats do you run at Kurt?