Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Default It\'s NLHE, and I\'m UTG...

Effective stacks are 100bb, 10 players at the table. I've already convinced myself that I will never fold KK+ preflop.

To conceal the times I raise with my 12 KK+ combinations, I decide to raise 29 trash combinations(72, 83o, 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), making the odds ~2.4:1 against me having KK+.

For an opponent acting after one of my raises, he can make a pot-sized raise and take down the pot about 70.5% of the time. Since the pot is 5bb after my initial raise(3.5xbb), my opponents total investment with his raise is 12xbb. He is laying 2.4:1 when the odds are ~2.4:1 against me having a hand I can call/raise with.

I will move in every time I face a pot-sized reraise while holding KK+. I will fold otherwise.

NOW FOR THE ?'s

1. If my opponent held QQ, and he knew my UTG tendencies, what would be his best play? Make a pot-sized raise for perfect information, or call and take a flop?

2. On flops that are J-high or lower, how many of my trash hands should I cbet along with my KK+ to leave my opponent defenseless? (Assume trash hands miss the flop and have no notable draw)

3. If my opponent knew that he would be faced with such a difficult flop decision when he doesn't make a set, what is his best preflop play?

4. Also, if he did decide to reraise me preflop, how many trash hands should I shove with to make both calling or folding neutral EV for my opponent(who still holds QQ)?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: It\'s NLHE, and I\'m UTG...

I have not tried a game theoretical approach to hold'em, so I don't have a good answer to that part of the question.

I do think that it's a bad idea to raise with 72 if you're trying to play game theoretically, though. There might be situations or opponents that justify raising with total garbage, but I'd rather have something half decent if I'm raising UTG. If I limp occasionally, it seems natural to "bluff-raise" with the kinds of hands that are slightly too weak to limp with, but still not complete trash.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To conceal the times I raise with my 12 KK+ combinations, I decide to raise 29 trash combinations(72, 83o, 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), making the odds ~2.4:1 against me having KK+.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is misguided.

On the river, when last to act, you can bluff with a few hands which have no showdown value. You might as well do this with the worst hands (and hands which have little showdown value and which block your opponent from having calling hand). The cheapest bluffs are those that don't cost any showdown value.

You're applying that idea in the exact opposite context where it is clearly wrong. You are folding hands like 74s while you raise with 72o. There is no reason to play your worst hands preflop. It's a clear mistake to give up the freerolls of suitedness and connectedness. There are no pure bluffs preflop, only semi-bluffs. By playing your worst hands, you are throwing away stronger draws to play weaker ones.

Most of your other questions rely on your strategy in later rounds which you did not specify. Question 4 is a simple calculation, but it is a strange question. You will often try to push someone off of QQ when you are actually up against AA.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When making bets on all streets, I would assume that the frequency of betting your drawing hands decreases with each round. The reason... your chances of improving to the best hand and the chances of your opponent folding decrease with each bet and call.

Correct?