Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

Greenstein is bustido. This is why he wants to be a rabbi.

Harman is bustido. Real estate bustido.

Forrest is bustido. But Hellmuth will stake him back to robustido.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Don't believe this, but it is interesting how Sklansky said some of people who took money off Beal were broke. Beal played HU, so that is a pretty small group.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: THANKS DAVE, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU EVER WROTE....

[ QUOTE ]
can we gett Tstone his own forum or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Don't believe this, but it is interesting how Sklansky said some of people who took money off Beal were broke. Beal played HU, so that is a pretty small group.

[/ QUOTE ]

greenstien has said in his book that he has been money busto off and on in his carreer but had plenty of assets besides money, dont know bout the rest of those names but I wouldnt be surprised.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nininchal, i think the reason youd rather be a 1/2 grinder instead of a named player on the verge of bustoing is because you have a life away from poker. i would make the contention that most famous players dont have a life away from poker. poker is their life. this kind of trait is one of the dominating reasons why people succeed in their ambitions, and its also one of the dominating reasons why poker players often end up broke. they make their ambitions their life. when being the best at poker is your aspiration, it can become quite easy to move up before youre ready to, because you want to get there so bad. its why people play underrolled and its why people refuse to move down. they want to progress, and to them, thats almost more important than the money. afterall, the word security to these players doesnt hold the weight that it may to you. they may have never had a job and plan to never have one in the future. they dont know what its like to not be able to pay their bills. paying their bills has never been an issue because they make so much more than their monthly nut. because of this, their objective in poker isnt to make ends meet, its to climb new heights.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really hit home for me. Thanks TStoneMBD.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Hey David, I was the guy who said hello to you at the cashier cage at Bellagio on Sunday. You didn't seem like you wanted to talk, but it was me in case you were wondering.

You're a lot bigger than I though you'd be, Sklansky.

-sigh- I thought for sure you'd be like 'Yo, TxRedMan, what it do?'
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Greenstein busto?
I remember a WPT episode where they claimed he was so rich he gave his winnings to charity. They called him Robin Hood.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM

TStone's points are well made (except for his comment about NL already dying).
I've earned a middle class Southern California income on 800 hours a year for a decade now. None of you have heard of me and that's fine. I play so far beneath my BR if I even got half way to broke I'd quit because I'd have to assume I was unknowingly having mental health problems. I have a wife and kids and home and free time to read and study, yet will NEVER be recognized as a poker stud. NEVER. Because I don't gamble, and tourneys are gambling and high stakes games are gambling.
And it isn't just that some (many? most?) players crave fame and fortune. I think they also crave the big losses. Me, I can't have a big (relative to BR) loss anymore, and I like that. It's another quality of life issue to me. I don't like that punched-in-the-gut feeling. But, obviously, to many players, the big downs are just part of the roller coaster ride, maybe (sickly) the most fun part.

I once had a young player, a good player, too, tell me (not meanly) that I didn't play higher because I was scared. I didn't deny it. I am scared to lose a lot of money. But I did manage to get him to understand that his craving to player higher was also a fear, a fear that maybe he was passing up a chance to make a lot of money and get famous and all that.

But then again, because he didn't have the wife, kids and mortage payment thing going on like me, going broke was an option.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Great post sir. NH.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't LV real estate tanked over the last 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah but tanking if you are worth 8 figures still can't be too bad...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brad Booth in debt over a Million. Guy is major busto

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the stories of how this guy throws money away, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]let's hear some stories

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

LV Real Estate peaked just over a year ago, and that was after a huge surge in the market over the last five years. A lot of $100,000 houses in LV in 1995 are worth more than double that now.

The market has dropped slightly the last year, but the bottom hasn't fallen out yet. However, expect to see a steady decline in prices over the next two years, especially with the amount of condos going up around the strip and the ones that are there now that are sitting empty.

Also, Jen Harman was playing in the big game in Bobby's room last weekend. They were 5 handed, it was her, Barry, some amateur who looked like he was stuck a lot and had been playing forever, and some kid from a WSOP final table last year of the year before.

That being said, I don't think she's busto, and even if she were, it would mean bankroll busto, not life-money-assets busto.