Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Default What\'s Cooking EDF #5

At over 200 posts, What's Cooking EDF #4 was becoming a bit unwieldy I think. Let's use this one going forward. New (and old) posters are encouraged to contribute recipes and pictures, ask questions, or begin discussions!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: What\'s Cooking EDF #5

Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower with Shrimp in Mustard Cream Sauce

All in all, this was a pretty simple dish. I mostly based it off of this recipe and just added in some shrimp to poach at the last minute. But I made a couple of mistakes. At the time I didn't know that "double cream" was heavy cream reduced by half. I used just regular heavy cream and it resulted in a pretty milky consistency. I also forgot the lemon ... it really needed a little acid but I was too lazy to get up and add it in at the end. The leeks were great with the cream though... I've almost never cooked them before so it was nice to find something new to work with in the future. Next time I will put in 3x as many

Here is a picture (not my own) of romanesco cauliflower before it was cooked. Very strange. When I saw it I had to buy it.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 PM

CSC made romanesco for one of the ICOOT challenges. I've still never seen it in a store.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:39 AM

hopefully i'll get involved in this EDF cooking thread... I am an avid chef, and my parents owned a restaurant, yet I am so lazy about furthering myself culinary-wise.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM

I made this recipe yesterday and it was awesome. It's an Apple Tart Tartin and you should have all the ingredients allready (I'm assuming most people have apples in their houses).

http://www.homebasics.ca/viewrecipe....3&search=1
Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully i'll get involved in this EDF cooking thread... I am an avid chef, and my parents owned a restaurant, yet I am so lazy about furthering myself culinary-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do. Would like to see some of your dishes.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM

Honey Herb Crusted Lamb Loin Chips with Cipolline Onions

I was drawn to this recipe because of its recommended methodology. Usually I focus more on the ingredients, but this one had an interesting way of imparting some extra flavor so I figured why not.

The result was something really flavorful and simple. We finally bought some lamb loin chops from the farmers market and they were unbelievably tender and fresh. We had some from the grocery store down the street a couple of days ago and it wasn't nearly as good. I was was particularly happy with the browning here. I've been "cleaning" my stainless steal skillet with barkeepers friend and have noticed that things have not been sticking at all lately. Also, I let the meet sit out for 45 min or so and come to room temperature and this really helped I think. Usually I only let it sit out for 10 min or so.

The recipe can be found here: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/h...polline-onions

ingredients

* 8 loin lamb chops (6 to 7 ounces each)
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 1/2 tablespoons pure olive oil
* 1/2 pound cipolline onions, blanched and peeled
* 2 cups water
* 1 cup garlic shoots or scallion greens, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1/2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon minced tarragon
* 1/4 teaspoon minced thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon minced rosemary

directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is almost smoking, add 4 of the chops and brown on both sides over moderately high heat, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a rimmed baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and the remaining chops.
2. Add the onions to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add
1 1/2 cups of the water, cover and simmer over low heat until the onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic shoots, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover and remove from the heat.
3. In a small bowl, mix the honey with the mustard, parsley, tarragon, thyme and rosemary. Brush the honey mustard on the chops and roast them for 7 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a chop registers 125° for medium-rare meat. Transfer the chops to a warm platter and cover loosely with foil.
4. Set the baking sheet over 2 burners on moderate heat. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the baking sheet. Add the pan juices to the onions and reheat them. Set the lamb chops on plates and serve with the onions and pan juices.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 PM

what'd you eat with teh lamb chops? there had to be more, right?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 PM

looks awesome as usual BK... i bet those onions were delicious...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what'd you eat with teh lamb chops? there had to be more, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. We had the croquettes and greens from the Pumpkin challenge thread. Wouldn't have been nearly enough by itself.