Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Religion DOES Do More Good Than Harm

[ QUOTE ]
Not because of charitable work or anything like that. But rather simply because it makes a lot of people happier than they otherwise would be. They might claim that they would like to be free of the restrictions that their religion puts on them. But I think almost everybody would agree that they are happier with their religion and its restrictions than they would be without either.

Even if you go under the assumption that the specifics of any religion are definitely false, that doesn't mean that a practitioner of that religion or even someone not yet born who is destined to practice it, is better off not believing in it. The fact is that only a minority of the individuals in this world gain more than they lose by being atheists, even if atheism is assumed to be correct.

In order to gain from atheism you need to be the type of person who derives much satisfaction from knowing the truth and you also need to be someone who is pretty happy with what they are doing and how their life is going. There are atheists who do not fit into this category of course. They might be ex theists who have become embittered. But that was probably too bad for them.

I had originally assummed that almost everyone on this forum is one of those minority of people who is better off not believing in something that is a monumental underdog to be true. Which is why I gave arguments for non belief. Perhaps ten percent of theists would be happier if they became atheists. But I thought a much bigger percent of two plus two theists would be happier as atheists. I don't think that anymore. So I see no good reason for me to pursue the subject further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you thought they'd be happier. Now you don't. So end of discussion. DO YOU SEE WHY!!!?? ILL LET MAHATMA ELABORATE...
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This might sound kinda corny but I had this idea - if your girlfriend likes chinese food, you take her to a restaurant where you make a special request to have a ring baked inside the cookie and the fortune saying "will you marry me?" Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just blew my mind. Kind of like the first time I read Nabokov and saw the world stretched all tense and transparent at his will, cruel and perfect and ice-wrought with frozen blood.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just blew my mind. Kind of like the first time I read Nabokov and saw the world stretched all tense and transparent at his will, cruel and perfect and ice-wrought with frozen blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on. Marriage isn't that bad.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 AM

Lol, I was trying to outdo his extravagant non sequitur, then I saw the "Why do I read fortune cookies?" thread and realized what had happened.